Income/Budget Spreadsheets

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Avidlearner1

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I have just started a new job where I am paid fortnightly, plus I have allowances that are paid monthly and then commission paid on a different day of the month.

I am concerned I am going to lose track of money coming in and pay bills on wrong dates, spend the amount I have set aside for savings, end up short one fortnight and abundance the next etc.

I am used to being paid monthly.

Could you please recommend a spreadsheet (that runs in excel) or program that I can enter in my payments and add what date bills are due so I can reorganise my budget. I tried playing around on excel but my system looked really confusing.

Probably a good example of why I don't work in finance original.gif

#2 Peridot

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

I shall be stalking this thread oomg.gif

#3 Amber Spyglass

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

Me too! I really need something like this!

#4 blithely

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Quicken does all of that and more. It's worth having if you have a complicated income. The cost to buy is an allowable tax deduction.

#5 itsmemacdolby

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

We have a household budget spreadsheet in our Office Excel templates that looks quite good (I havent used it though). You could take a look through there.

#6 Peppy2

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

I am in finance and I have a spreadsheet for each  6 month period. I just created it myself.

I put each fortnight's date in a column and then next to it, the pays I expect to receive next to each fortnight. You can easily add in the extra money you expect in the next column. Then I map out all current payments (mortgage/insurance/school fees/ etc.). I have my starting bank balance and each forgnight I add the income and subtract the payments. Its pretty simple once you get started.

Then just update for each 6 month period. You don't need anything fancy. Happy to email you a template if you like.

#7 laridae

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

I use YNAB (You need A Budget).  It has a free trial if you want to try it out.  
You can import bank statements from Netbank etc, put in scheduled transactions, pre fill a month or so ahead then reconcile with your bank statements etc.  Allocate money monthly from you income towards paying yearly bills etc.

Similar (but a bit more complicated to get going) and free is GnuCash.

#8 Tamzin1984

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

Like Peppy2, we have an excel spreadsheet we made ourselves.

Essentially, it works on a day to day basis.  The left hand column is each day's date, the rows at the top are Date, Transaction Description, Cash Movement, and then account balances.  

We have it set up in four week blocks, with the weekends coloured differently, so it is easy to see where you are at.  We input all regular income and outgoing expenses, such as my pay (weekly), DH's pay (fortnightly), credit card bill (we pay all other bills on our credit card, amount inputted to table is predicted based on our average spend), mortgage repayment. These are set up as recurring transactions, so you can predict your bank balance months in advance.  As you get more information you can adjust your outgoings (for example, our billing month for the CC ends on the 11th, and is not due to be paid until the 26th, so leading up to the 11th we monitor the balance and adjust spreadsheet accordingly.  By predicting your income and outgoing expenses it helps you to know where you're at, and whether you're actually going to have enough income to pay your mortgage next month, and how much spare you've got to play with.  If you're good with excel it is easy to set up.  

We balance our budget weekly with our bank accounts, making sure the account balances are accurate, and entering interest, and any cash withdrawls as you go.  As each week is balanced we change the colour so we know it is correct.  

My DH, the financial guru of the family, set it all up.

#9 pinkpineapple

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

I have one which runs in excel. I can email it when on the computer next if u send me ur email.  

The bank lady was impressed with it and took it into account when I applied for my home loan.

#10 firstbornbabyboy

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (pinkpineapple @ 10/11/2012, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The bank lady was impressed with it and took it into account when I applied for my home loan.

This is awesome! original.gif

#11 toadflax

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

I have been using one that was mentioned years ago on an EB thread - it is excellent (by Lynne Woods and David Annetts. I highly recommend it.

https://sites.google.com/site/budget-tracking/

#12 Natbub0610

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Thanks toadflax, been looking for Lynne's spreadsheet everywhere.

New Years Resolution:- budget & meal plan

#13 Molondy

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

just bumping this as I couldn't get the link to Lynne's page to work - does anyone have a fresh link?

#14 HappyWomble

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/budget-tracking/

#15 kate13rose

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I like this one:
https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/tools-and-res.../budget-planner
original.gif

#16 PurpleNess

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

YNAB _ I just posted this week about how awesome it is, simple to use & you can tailor it to suit your priorities.

Heaps of on line support, tutorials and forums PLUS a 37 days free trial & only $60 to buy the full package , money well spent in this house!

OH FYI we have been working off a Excel spreadsheet for years now & this is SO much better !

Edited by PurpleNess, 19 January 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#17 ginnyk

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (PurpleNess @ 19/01/2013, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YNAB _ I just posted this week about how awesome it is, simple to use & you can tailor it to suit your priorities.

Heaps of on line support, tutorials and forums PLUS a 37 days free trial & only $60 to buy the full package , money well spent in this house!

OH FYI we have been working off a Excel spreadsheet for years now & this is SO much better !

I downloaded YNAB a few days ago, and am really impressed! Hoping I can "break out of the paycheck cycle" that they spruik as one of the main aims of the program.

I've used a different budget program for year, but it was way too complicated, I like how simple and easy this one is to use...

Thanks for posting it in the first place!

#18 Overtherainbow

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'm paid fortnightly, dh monthly.  We budget monthly.  All bills, mortgage, utilities, kids sports, etc are paid on his pay day as is credit card.  My pay just sits on home loan until his pay day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.