Will you be happy if Nick D'Arcy wins a medal?

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

If he then goes on to sell that medal and repay the $180 grand he owes to his victim then I will - but not before!  Will you?

#2 CherrySunday

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Well of course - he's an Australian, and every time an Aussie does well, if reflects well on the rest of us - isn't that the point of sport in this country?

rolleyes.gif

#3 Green Door

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Of course I will. He made a mistake people really need to let it go.

#4 greengoddess

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

It may be hard for him to win, given the fact he remains crucified.

His performance in sport has nothing to do with what he does off the field. As much as sports officials want us to believe, sport does not have an inherent moral dimension and athletes should not be expected to be any more moral than the next joker on the street.

#5 Chchgirl

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

I will be pleased for him if he wins, but I don't think any public will move on and forgive him until he stops acting like a tool. Then maybe..

But personally I would yes.

#6 Literary Lemur

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

I don't get the point of sending an athlete to the olympics and then hoping they won't do well enough to get a medal.

I hope he does well.

I also hope he changes into a decent human being.

#7 elmo_mum

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

can we change this topic to
do i care if he wins a medal or not?

#8 FeralAlpacaWarrior

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 30/07/2012, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If he then goes on to sell that medal and repay the $180 grand he owes to his victim then I will - but not before!  Will you?

Tend to agree with this. How someone can declare bankruptcy and then have cash to travel to the US was a bit distasteful. DH and I were just talking about him the other day, about how US authorities let him in when he is/was supposedly bankrupt. Given how strict they are on the border about not having criminal convictions and such.

Edited by lovealpacas, 30 July 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#9 BadCat

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

Yes I will.

He's not the first athllete to do the wrong thing, he won't be the last.  I don't care much about their off field antics to be honest.  That should all be dealt with outside the sporting arena.

What I care about is that an athlete has trained and worked hard, made it to the eltie level, and taken an olympic medal.  I will celebrate that for anyone.  I'm happy to cheer the success of olympians from other countries without knowing about their personal life.  I treat the Australian team the same way.

#10 Blondiebear

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Based on what I've seen I don't like him as a person, but if he has worked hard enough and has the ability to win a medal than good luck to him. I won't be jumping up and down cheering but I will be happy enough for him as I would be for anyone else. There are lots of successful, professional athletes I don't particularly like or respect as people.

#11 casime

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

I will the think the same as any other athlete - that his hard work has paid off in his training and sports career.   Unlike some people, I don't care about what they do in their personal lives, and I don't hold them up to the be pillars of our society or the moral compass we should all live by.   I would assume that if he has declared bankruptcy and earns any money from these games that it would be used to pay debts, just like anyone else that declares bankruptcy.

#12 Anyway...

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

How long ago did he punch that guy?? Is that why everyone hates him or is there more that I missed?

I think what he did to that guy was stupid and I think he was an idiot for doing it but we all do stupid sh*t in our lives. Will we really make him pay for that for the rest of his life? Again if he has done more I don't know about my mind may change.

Good luck to him I think, I do hope he wins a medal like I hope all Aussies win a medal.

#13 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (Green Door @ 30/07/2012, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course I will. He made a mistake people really need to let it go.

QUOTE (greengoddess @ 30/07/2012, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It may be hard for him to win, given the fact he remains crucified.

His performance in sport has nothing to do with what he does off the field. As much as sports officials want us to believe, sport does not have an inherent moral dimension and athletes should not be expected to be any more moral than the next joker on the street.

the above basically sums it up for me.  There are many young males his age who have gotten into fights like him and only made one mistake.  There are other people in sports and the media that we seem to kiss the ground they walk on who have done much much worse when it comes to violence.

#14 matt1972

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (lovealpacas @ 30/07/2012, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tend to agree with this. How someone can declare bankruptcy and then have cash to travel to the US was a bit distasteful. DH and I were just talking about him the other day, about how US authorities let him in when he is/was supposedly bankrupt. Given how strict they are on the border about not having criminal convictions and such.

He didn't pay to go to the U.S. he was on a training camp with the Australian swim team. So in effect you paid through your taxes.
I am not sure that being bankrupt is a criminal offence is it?

Considering how poorly the golden boys of our swim team went this morning I think even ACA and the people who watch that drivel will be happy to count any medal D'Arcy might get in our tally.

#15 Soontobegran

Yes absolutely I will.
He is a young man who has made some mistakes, much like many of our sons will. He has actually paid for this big time. There is much more to the story about the assault than people know.
I have a friend who knows Nick and his family well, she is a very discerning person and she tells me that the public perception of Nick is not the reality.

#16 Princess.cranky.pants

Yes. It's time to move on. How long ago did he make that mistake.. why dose it have to be continually dragged up?

#17 DontKnow2015

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

Yes...  

He was probably allowed to travel to the US as it was probably a camp or warm up event so his costs would be getting picked up for by a sporting body of some description.  People who are bankrupt still have money just not enough to cover their relevant debts.

I think his poor choices will cost him in terms of his ability to profit if he medals as from a marketing point of view he is damaged goods...

Still I think the person who should win the race should be the best swimmer who has not taken anything to improve themselves in terms of performance...

#18 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

I am not sure that being bankrupt is a criminal offence is it?
No but he received a 14 month suspended sentence for his criminal behaviour.  However it his declaring bankruptcy after Simon Cowley sought compensation against him so he didn't have to pay him that sticks in my throat.  I would have thought that you would do what you can in those circumstances to put to rights the damage you have done and not shirk your responsibilities.

#19 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (lovealpacas @ 30/07/2012, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So do you think all the athletes pay for their travel to camp?
Athletes, other than those with huge sponsers live on the smell of an oily rag and Nick was no different.

#20 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 30/07/2012, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No but he received a 14 month suspended sentence for his criminal behaviour.  However it his declaring bankruptcy after Simon Cowley sought compensation against him so he didn't have to pay him that sticks in my throat.  I would have thought that you would do what you can in those circumstances to put to rights the damage you have done and not shirk your responsibilities.

He didn't have money to pay? He was an athlete training 7 days a week and studying at Uni at the same time.
Why do you think that he wasn't bankrupt?

#21 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

No but he received a 14 month suspended sentence for his criminal behaviour. However it his declaring bankruptcy after Simon Cowley sought compensation against him so he didn't have to pay him that sticks in my throat. I would have thought that you would do what you can in those circumstances to put to rights the damage you have done and not shirk your responsibilities.

you only declare bankruptcy if you have a debt you can't pay. I guess you were privy to all the details that went on regarding the case right? As in you know both sides of the story and every little detail that happened?  The fact that he is who he is has meant he has had a much tougher sentence thrown at him, it also means he has it brought up all the time.  Your average young male who does the same thing doesn't have to put up with that day in and day out.

#22 andyk

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

This! My thoughts exactly.

#23 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

I don't have access to his financial records STBG but his Father is a surgeon and his father funded his costly appeals and defence.  I would have thought all that money would have been better put in to an offer for Simon Cowley who was owed $380 grand in the end!

#24 matt1972

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

People, businesses declare bankruptcy every day of the week in Australia. Some of the most "successful" people in this country have been declared bankrupt on numerous occasions and still manage to eek away an existence in $5m homes in Toorak and none of them feel the rage of the public or ACA like D'Arcy it is so out of whack.

D'Arcy got the suspended sentence and he wasn't allowed to compete in the Olympics in Beijing and people keep complaining that he hasn't been punished.

#25 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

I guess you were privy to all the details that went on regarding the case right?
All of this is a matter of public record.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.