Will you be happy if Nick D'Arcy wins a medal?

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#151 matt1972

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 15/08/2012, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard about this, I couldn't work out why he had to get permission from the AOC (I think that is the right body) to instead of get on the plane and go home after the event to leave England.  I also don't get why if he choose to he was not allowed to stay on in England in a hotel?

I also didn't understand how an adult could be "ordered" to do anything post his involvement in the event.
Maybe he has some sort of contract with the AOC?

#152 The Cat

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

I'd love to be as bankrupt as him. (/dripping sarcasm)

PP, the comment about his looks v popularity doesn't wash with me.  It doesn't matter if he is the ugliest or the best looking person in the world, he did wrong and shows no remorse.  I really do not like the person.

#153 matt1972

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Poet in New York @ 15/08/2012, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it was a condition of him being allowed to compete. Although really, who cares if he was photographed jumping off a boat into the water to swim? Was he breaking any international laws by doing that? Are he and the other (gun photograph) guy going to be in the naughty corner forever?

As long as Channel 9 and News LTD have their way his obituary will begin "Disgraced bad boy of the pool...."

#154 matt1972

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (Poet in New York @ 15/08/2012, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But wasn't he on holiday with his family (dad flew back early or something)? Maybe they paid for the trip.

I agree with the looks comment - completely irrelevant. I think he is judged by people on his past actions alone.

I bet you Grant Hackett is glad that he doesn't look or speak like Darcy.

#155 BadCat

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

I can't believe the media is bleating about him having a holdiay and showing pictures of him on a boat as though it's a capital crime.  

Did he BUY the boat?  Doubt it.
Did he pay thousands of dollars to jump into the sea?  Doubt it.

He's having a holiday.  Who cares.

Of course he should try to pay what he owes but it doens't mean he should be consigned to the salt mines until he does.

#156 Soontobegran

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

He had worked hard for 4 years, perhaps his parents paid for a holiday for him? He certainly has no money.
As far as I know that is not against the law.

ETA..Let's hope all the naysayers have perfect children who live perfect lives and never make mistakes.

There is something called rehabilitation, even serial killers are given a chance at it.

Edited by soontobegran, 15 August 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#157 The Cat

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

I don't buy the 'family holiday' argument.  Obviously there is money used for him to still be there.  If he can get money (if he genuinely is bankrupt) to extend a holiday from other people, then it shows he has his lending priorities wrong.

See, that's just the thing.  He shows no remorse AND flaunts his lifestyle for all to see.  I find it very shameful actually.

#158 matt1972

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (The Cat @ 15/08/2012, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't buy the 'family holiday' argument.  Obviously there is money used for him to still be there.  If he can get money (if he genuinely is bankrupt) to extend a holiday from other people, then it shows he has his lending priorities wrong.

See, that's just the thing.  He shows no remorse AND flaunts his lifestyle for all to see.  I find it very shameful actually.

It's not illegal for a bankrupt person to have a holiday is it?
How did he flaunt it?

#159 The Cat

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

The photo.

No not illegal,so what. It's just my opinion.

#160 matt1972

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (The Cat @ 15/08/2012, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The photo.

No not illegal,so what. It's just my opinion.

So he isn't allowed to take photos any more and he and his friends aren't allowed access to facebook? It's kind of ridiculous that a newspaper goes looking for photos of this guy and when they find them people are horrified that he or his friends take photos when they are on holiday.

#161 MrsLexiK

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (matt1972 @ 15/08/2012, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bet you Grant Hackett is glad that he doesn't look or speak like Darcy.

Very true, but he was also the golen before he messed up, I think that helps him as well.
QUOTE (BadCat @ 15/08/2012, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't believe the media is bleating about him having a holdiay and showing pictures of him on a boat as though it's a capital crime.

Did he BUY the boat? Doubt it.
Did he pay thousands of dollars to jump into the sea? Doubt it.

He's having a holiday. Who cares.

Of course he should try to pay what he owes but it doens't mean he should be consigned to the salt mines until he does.

Have to agree with this.

#162 The Cat

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, it's part of the no remorse part I was talking about.

Anyway, it's just an opinion and something I don't spend my time dwelling on, bigger fish to fry and all that. wink.gif

#163 Charlies Angel

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 15/08/2012, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He had worked hard for 4 years, perhaps his parents paid for a holiday for him? He certainly has no money.

ETA..Let's hope all the naysayers have perfect children who live perfect lives and never make mistakes.

There is something called rehabilitation, even serial killers are given a chance at it.

Usually part of your rehabilitation is acknowledging your mistakes and seeking to right wrongs - that is, acting like a decent human being.

Nick D'Arcy does none of things, and in my opinion, took the cowardly way out by claiming bankruptcy to avoid paying any compensation.

Being a fulltime athelete is a privilege, and perhaps it is time for D'Arcy to consider what else he has to contribute to society - that is, to show that he is a man of character.

But yes, I think that the family holiday photos are a bit of a beatup.

#164 MrsLexiK

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (Charlies Angel @ 15/08/2012, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Usually part of your rehabilitation is acknowledging your mistakes and seeking to right wrongs - that is, acting like a decent human being.

Nick D'Arcy does none of things, and in my opinion, took the cowardly way out by claiming bankruptcy to avoid paying any compensation.

Being a fulltime athelete is a privilege, and perhaps it is time for D'Arcy to consider what else he has to contribute to society - that is, to show that he is a man of character.

But yes, I think that the family holiday photos are a bit of a beatup.

I have said this so many time on this thread I am almost blue in the face.  How do you expect a uni student to get his hands on hundreds of thousands of dollars when said uni student spends his spare time training? A bank is not going to loan him the money.  Simon was offered a payout - sure it was no where near what he was awarded but it was something - he didn't take it and Nick filed for bankruptcy before Simon could file against him (as this was going to be the next step) He hasn't run away from his debts at all, once he is a qualified doctor (I believe he is becoming a surgeon but not 100% sure) and earning X amount per year he will have his wages garnished to pay back Simon and his parents (who fliped the bill for his legal team which I think most parents would do for their child)

#165 KLF84

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

ummm newspapers report he is holidaying in croatia on a boat since leaving the olympics. Bankrupt my a$$. Pay Simon what he is owed.

#166 matt1972

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

It seems some people have no concept of what it means to be bankrupt

#167 The Cat

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 15/08/2012, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (matt1972 @ 15/08/2012, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See, this is why I don't want to discuss this in further detail.  Have an opinion and have passive aggressive judgements made.

STBG, this naysayer doesn't have perfect children, I don't expect them to be. What a spiteful thing to say.

Matt, whatever.

#168 But seriously

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

You believe he is becoming a surgeon? Oh really? Just because daddy is a surgeon doesn't mean he'll become one. Turd of a guy. If daddy is wealthy then he should have loaned his son the money to be paid back. Same as his defence. And he was a failure at the Olympics anyway. Complete weeny

#169 ItsOKtoSAYno

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Nick Who?

Why does the media keep going on about this person ???

His victim deserves some money and some peace and quiet.
His Mom deserves a big hug for having to live through the whole sorry experience.
And he deserves a chance to move on and live life (and earn enough money to pay his debt to his victim) of course.

Edited by ItsOKtoSAYno, 15 August 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#170 Bam1

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 15/08/2012, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you expect a uni student to get his hands on hundreds of thousands of dollars when said uni student spends his spare time training?

He could always use his spare time working rather than training.

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 15/08/2012, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He hasn't run away from his debts at all, once he is a qualified doctor (I believe he is becoming a surgeon but not 100% sure) and earning X amount per year he will have his wages garnished to pay back Simon and his parents (who fliped the bill for his legal team which I think most parents would do for their child)

QUOTE (matt1972 @ 15/08/2012, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree and maybe I am one of them as I thought once you are declared bankrupt, your creditors had no claim on future earnings.

ETA the holiday photos are a complete media beat-up

Edited by Bam1, 15 August 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#171 BetteBoop

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 15/08/2012, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You keep saying it's only people who presume themselves perfect who have a problem with Nick D'arcy. I don't think so.

He's a convicted felon who has not demonstrated any remorse for his actions. Most of society has a problem with them.

Personally I'm not sure why Mr D'arcy has such a devoted cheer squad. Perhaps an ability to swim faster than some people makes him above the normal standards of society.

#172 MrsLexiK

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (sandgropergirl @ 15/08/2012, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You believe he is becoming a surgeon? Oh really? Just because daddy is a surgeon doesn't mean he'll become one. Turd of a guy. If daddy is wealthy then he should have loaned his son the money to be paid back. Same as his defence. And he was a failure at the Olympics anyway. Complete weeny

No because I think that is what he said he wanted to do one Australian Story but I am not 100% sure.  He has already undertaken a course in Applied Science Medical imaging (I think from what I have read in the past this is the area he is employed with at QLD health) and is going to medical school to be a dr.

QUOTE (Bam1 @ 15/08/2012, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He could always use his spare time working rather than training.

Do you know a job that will pay $180K upfront?

#173 BadCat

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 15/08/2012, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I'm not sure why Mr D'arcy has such a devoted cheer squad. Perhaps an ability to swim faster than some people makes him above the normal standards of society.

I haven't really noticed a cheer squad with the possible exception of STBG who seems  to know him personally.

I think he's a pratt.
I think he should make an effort to pay what he owes.
And I think the media should stop beating up bullsh*t stories about him.  Who cares if he's having a holiday?  Until the media pull out evidence that he is spending thousands out of his own pocket for said holiday then I don't give a sh*t if he's on a boat in the sun somewhere.

#174 BetteBoop

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (Bam1 @ 15/08/2012, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree and maybe I am one of them as I thought once you are declared bankrupt, your creditors had no claim on future earnings.

That's right. Your debts are discharged.

I think there are some bills you can't discharge, like child support (not 100% sure on what others) but the whole point of D'arcy declaring bankruptcy was to stop Cowell making any claim against his future earnings.

#175 MrsLexiK

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 15/08/2012, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's right. Your debts are discharged.

I think there are some bills you can't discharge, like child support (not 100% sure on what others) but the whole point of D'arcy declaring bankruptcy was to stop Cowell making any claim against his future earnings.

HECS and student loans, court appointed penalities and fines, and damages for accidents are not wiped.  Which is why Nick D'arcy's trustee was pushing for him to go to the Olympics as there would have been money there for Simon to claim against (I think he needs to make $47K a year before Simon can claim against it, if he had won a medal there is a chance he could have gotten a deal) Once he is earning over $47K the trustee will automatically "garnish" his wage to pay that debt back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.