Will you be happy if Nick D'Arcy wins a medal?

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#26 Tigerdog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

To me someone's ability in the sporting arena has nothing to do with their personal lives.  Yes I get that they're role models like it or not but if someone gets a medal then they deserve it for excelling in sport.

#27 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 30/07/2012, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have access to his financial records STBG but his Father is a surgeon and his father funded his costly appeals and defence.  I would have thought all that money would have been better put in to an offer for Simon Cowley who was owed $380 grand in the end!

I know his father is a surgeon, a very well liked and respected one, his son is too...by people who know him and not rely on what they read about him.

#28 gettin my fance on

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

You know what?  I think I'll be cheering him on even more.

I cannot even begin to imagine what it is like to represent your country at such a prestigious event as the Olympics when a great many of your fellow countrymen and women hate your guts and wish you ill.

It must be absolutely horrible.

Go Nick!

#29 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

I
know his father is a surgeon, a very well liked and respected one, his son is too...by people who know him and not rely on what they read about him.
What I read about him STBG is a matter of pubic record and I am only responding to that.  If he won a medal, sold it and paid Simon Cowley even a fraction that he owed him then I would be happy - a person's behaviour speaks volumes about their character in my opinion.

#30 BetteBoop

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (Green Door @ 30/07/2012, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course I will. He made a mistake people really need to let it go.

I wonder if you asked the bloke whose face he smashed and career he ruined this question how he might answer.

Personally, I don't think 4 years ago is long enough that people have any reason to let it go. The guy is a violent thug who hasn't made any effort to make amends for his behaviour. He hasn't paid compensation to Simon Cowley who has incurred tens of thousands of dollars in surgery because he declared himself bankrupt.

But he's famous and he might win a medal so we should all just STFU and pretend he's a hero. Cognitive dissonance is unpleasant.

#31 gettin my fance on

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 30/07/2012, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if you asked the bloke whose face he smashed and career he ruined this question how he might answer.

No doubt Simon Cowley will think twice before slapping someone's face.

#32 zande

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

Personally, I don't think 4 years ago is long enough that people have any reason to let it go. The guy is a violent thug who hasn't made any effort to make amends for his behaviour. He hasn't paid compensation to Simon Cowley who has incurred tens of thousands of dollars in surgery because he declared himself bankrupt.

But he's famous and he might win a medal so we should all just STFU and pretend he's a hero. Cognitive dissonance is unpleasant.

This sums it up for me. I don't think he should actually even be there. I don't care how well he swims, being an Olympian and representing your country should be about more than your performance in your sport.

#33 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (fancie @ 30/07/2012, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think people are conveniently forgetting there is another side to this story.

Edited by soontobegran, 30 July 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#34 BetteBoop

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

If you believe D'arcy. Not sure I can see any reason to do that.

And I don't follow your logic. Are you suggesting the court got it wrong by holding D'arcy responsible for his actions and that Cowley was actually responsible for his injuries?

Blaming the victim. Novel concept.

Edited by BetteBoop, 30 July 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#35 Anyway...

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Who the hell is anyone calling a hero?? I dont consider an Olympian a hero, an awesome sports star yes, someone I want to watch do well in their chosen field yes but a hero?

That's where this whole thing goes wrong, Olympians are ordinary people who happen to have awesome ability in sport and that's where it should end.

#36 matt1972

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 30/07/2012, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have access to his financial records STBG but his Father is a surgeon and his father funded his costly appeals and defence.  I would have thought all that money would have been better put in to an offer for Simon Cowley who was owed $380 grand in the end!

Cowley was obviously poorly advised when he decided to sue a professional swimmer who's only means of income had already been removed from him by the previous court case.

#37 gettin my fance on

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

If you believe D'arcy. Not sure I can see any reason to do that.

BetteBoop, it was an agreed statement of fact in the court.  Which means that Simon Cowley admitted prior to the court case that he had slapped Nick D'arcy's face.

So yes I do believe both Nick D'arcy and Simon Cowley that the slap in fact happened.

#38 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

Can't say I believe D'Arcy's version of the events - which were also disputed on the night by witnesses and Cowley himself.

Edited by ILBB, 30 July 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#39 babatjie

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 30/07/2012, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Simon Cowley who has incurred tens of thousands of dollars in surgery

Why would Cowley have tens of thousands of dollars cost of surgery? Does he not get Medicare assistance?

#40 gettin my fance on

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Well then ILBB, you obviously know more than Simon Cowley and his legal team.  Because not only did they not deny the slap occurred, they agreed on a legal document submitted to the court that it had.

Those crazy legal-eagles, you never know what hi-jinx they're up to, hey?

#41 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 30/07/2012, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I What I read about him STBG is a matter of pubic record and I am only responding to that. If he won a medal, sold it and paid Simon Cowley even a fraction that he owed him then I would be happy - a person's behaviour speaks volumes about their character in my opinion.

D'arcy did offer to pay him $25,000 of the amount he owed/owes him before he declared bankruptcy (I believe)

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 30/07/2012, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You do realise he retired in 2004 from swimming.

This and the witness said he did hear a slapping sound, so yes I do believe that the slap occured.

#42 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Fancie - I only know that Cowley disputed the version of events as claimed by D'Arcy - in that it was a "slap" at all - but a tap on the head (in the context that D'Arcy was worked up about another round of drinks and people including Cowley were trying to lighten his mood/calm him down).  As D'Arcy was pleading guilty to the charges it might have been a tactic by Cowley's team to shorten proceedings or not have it go to trial.  As D'Arcy had consumed approx 16 drinks in that evening prior to the punch it is surprising he had any recollection of what happened!

#43 casime

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

What I read about him STBG is a matter of pubic record and I am only responding to that. If he won a medal, sold it and paid Simon Cowley even a fraction that he owed him then I would be happy - a person's behaviour speaks volumes about their character in my opinion.

Why would he sell the medal?  The money he earns from sponsorship and what the government give them for winning a medal, yes.  The medal itself should be his.  

#44 gettin my fance on

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

slap/tap.

It is now and always will be on the public record that Simon Cowley admitted to slapping/tapping Nick D'arcy.  And because he has admitted it he needs to wear his part in what followed.

Shoulda kept his hands to himself.  I can't think of many people, drunk or sober, who would feel all warm and fuzzy about being slapped on the face or tapped on the head.

#45 DontKnow2015

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

I once watched a show where a member of the australian olmypic team from the 80's said in a team bonding experience a question was asked who had been an arrested for doing something stupid.  The athlete said that the percentage at the time was quite high.  I am trying to wrack my brain for the name of the documentary....  I know it is a question I have been asked at a number of manager workshops I have been truly staggered by some of the stories that have come out of people who I have worked for in later life and what they have got up to in their youth...

I do not think Nick Darcy will be held in the same high regard as a Susie O'Neil who was not only a champion butterflier but she comes across as a lovely person....

I am just not so sure life is so black and white and although what he did regardless of provocation was stupid.  I think in life things are a bit more in the grey and I am kind of glad that there is stuff that I did in my earlier years that my children will only find out if they manage to wangle it out of a few close friends who were there with me....

Nick Darcy is a good swimmer and he is at the olympics and has been through the process outlined to him that he needed to go through in order to gain selection after his removal from the olympic team 4 years earlier....

I want him to win because he is Australian.  Do I think he will pick up any multimillion sponsorship deals if he wins a couple of medals no because I think his poor choices will mean that he will not be able to capatlise on his success in a similar manner to say Stephanie Rice after her performance in Beijing.

#46 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

The money he earns from sponsorship and what the government give them for winning a medal, yes. The medal itself should be his.
  Can't see too many companies lining up to sponsor him!

Does the Govt give extra money to medal winners?  I heard Russia was doing it - didn't know Australia did it too!

#47 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 30/07/2012, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fancie - I only know that Cowley disputed the version of events as claimed by D'Arcy - in that it was a "slap" at all - but a tap on the head (in the context that D'Arcy was worked up about another round of drinks and people including Cowley were trying to lighten his mood/calm him down).  As D'Arcy was pleading guilty to the charges it might have been a tactic by Cowley's team to shorten proceedings or not have it go to trial.  As D'Arcy had consumed approx 16 drinks in that evening prior to the punch it is surprising he had any recollection of what happened!

A' tap' or a 'slap' Cowley played his part in this. Darcy's actions as a response are not being applauded, he has well and truly paid for his part in this.
Oh, did you forget to mention how much alcohol Cowley had consumed?

#48 BetteBoop

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

It's funny that the police charged him and the courts accepted his guilty plea and then convicted him of grievous bodily harm with a custodial sentence (albeit suspended) when EB has determined he was only acting in self defence.

If only the courts knew as much as EB.

#49 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 30/07/2012, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't see too many companies lining up to sponsor him!

Does the Govt give extra money to medal winners?  I heard Russia was doing it - didn't know Australia did it too!

I don't believe Nick or his family would expect sponsers so it is a moot point.
My guess is that since Nick is continuing his university studies so that he will be gainfully employed when he retires would be an indication that he knows he needs to make his own way in the world.

#50 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

DP

Edited by soontobegran, 30 July 2012 - 10:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.