Will you be happy if Nick D'Arcy wins a medal?

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#51 opethmum

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Yes I would be pleased.

It is time for people to move on and just get over it honestly.

#52 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

Nick is continuing his university studies so that he will be gainfully employed when he retires would be an indication that he knows he needs to make his own way in the world.

Maybe then he can come good with a compensation payment after he gets a job and prove everyone wrong about his poor behaviour being indicative of his character!

#53 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 30/07/2012, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's funny that the police charged him and the courts accepted his guilty plea and then convicted him of grievous bodily harm with a custodial sentence (albeit suspended) when EB has determined he was only acting in self defence.

If only the courts knew as much as EB.

Nobody is arguing and I don't believe anyone is condoning what happened, however to not acknowledge there are two sides to this is being totally short sighted.

The slap didn't cause Nick grievous bodily harm so he had to wear the result of his response to this.

#54 BetteBoop

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 30/07/2012, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A' tap' or a 'slap' Cowley played his part in this. Darcy's actions as a response are not being applauded, he has well and truly paid for his part in this.
Oh, did you forget to mention how much alcohol Cowley had consumed?

Isn't it up the courts to determine what role Cowley played, if any?

According to the courts, Cowley didn't play much of a role or they wouldn't have recorded a conviction against D'arcy and awarded Cowley nearly 200k in damages.

It's nice that people forgive him. I can't help but wonder what attitudes would be like if he wasn't an Olympian who might win 'us' gold.

#55 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 30/07/2012, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe then he can come good with a compensation payment after he gets a job and prove everyone wrong about his poor behaviour being indicative of his character!

Yeh, maybe then people like yourself who judge his character based on what they read and based on some idiotic behaviour may be hushed.

Nick has many supporters amongst his peers, to me that speaks volumes.

#56 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

Yeh, maybe then people like yourself who judge his character based on what they read and based on some idiotic behaviour may be hushed.
I have said that I would be very happy for him if he wins a medal and funds a compensations payment to Simon Cowley.  If he gets a well paying job and then funds a compensations payment then I will be happy - a persons actions speak volumes about their character not the word of a friend of a friend of friend of their plumber's dog who knows the person!

#57 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 30/07/2012, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again cause I think you must have missed it the first time - he offered $25K to Simon.  Simon didn't take it, D'arcy filed for bankruptcy.  

It was not just the $180K plus costs to Simon that he fought, his parents LOANED him the money for his defence with a proper contract drawn up.  His father is listed as a creditor as well.

#58 ~Tranquillity~

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

From what I have read about the case I am not a fan of Nick Darcy and his behaviour- BUT he has faced the courts and received a criminal conviction. He has been 'punished' by the AOC by missing out on the Beijing Olympics and a World Championships. If the AOC has now determined (and I'm sure they have looked at this extremely closely!!) that it is appropriate/adheres to the Olympic 'rulebook' that he is eligible to rejoin the team then I am okay with that. If all his hard work results in a medal then he clearly deserves it. I can still think he's a t*at for punching someone in the face. I think the media have this tendency to 'sanctify' medal winners, well he is clearly not a saint, doesn't mean he can't win a medal.

#59 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 30/07/2012, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the courts, Cowley didn't play much of a role or they wouldn't have recorded a conviction against D'arcy and awarded Cowley nearly 200k in damages.

It's nice that people forgive him. I can't help but wonder what attitudes would be like if he wasn't an Olympian who might win 'us' gold.

Cowley did play a role, his role did not cause injury and THAT is what the court determined.

#60 BetteBoop

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 30/07/2012, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you suggest we judge him? If not on this case, then maybe others?

D'arcy has committed other violent acts that have resulted in charges too. Apparently he assaultd another swimmer the night he smashed Cowley.

Based on that evidence, I see him as a thug. I think it's a reasonable assessment.

#61 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Again cause I think you must have missed it the first time - he offered $25K to Simon. Simon didn't take it, D'arcy filed for bankruptcy.
Oh so you are owed $380 grand and someone who has not personally apologised for what he did (D'Arcy still thinks he was justified and acting in self defence) to you offers you a pittance - would you accept it?

#62 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 30/07/2012, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I honestly do not think he would have had the same legal bill if he wasn't a swimmer.  

QUOTE (ILBB @ 30/07/2012, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have said that I would be very happy for him if he wins a medal and funds a compensations payment to Simon Cowley. If he gets a well paying job and then funds a compensations payment then I will be happy - a persons actions speak volumes about their character not the word of a friend of a friend of friend of their plumber's dog who knows the person!

Once he earns $47K after tax he has to start paying his creditors back.

#63 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (~Tranquillity~ @ 30/07/2012, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I have read about the case I am not a fan of Nick Darcy and his behaviour- BUT he has faced the courts and received a criminal conviction. He has been 'punished' by the AOC by missing out on the Beijing Olympics and a World Championships. If the AOC has now determined (and I'm sure they have looked at this extremely closely!!) that it is appropriate/adheres to the Olympic 'rulebook' that he is eligible to rejoin the team then I am okay with that. If all his hard work results in a medal then he clearly deserves it. I can still think he's a t*at for punching someone in the face. I think the media have this tendency to 'sanctify' medal winners, well he is clearly not a saint, doesn't mean he can't win a medal.

This is about it!

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 30/07/2012, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you suggest we judge him? If not on this case, then maybe others?

D'arcy has committed other violent acts that have resulted in charges too. Apparently he assaultd another swimmer the night he smashed Cowley.

Based on that evidence, I see him as a thug. I think it's a reasonable assessment.

So in your mind nobody can make poor decisions in their youth and ever be forgiven them?

#64 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 30/07/2012, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh so you are owed $380 grand and someone who has not personally apologised for what he did (D'Arcy still thinks he was justified and acting in self defence) to you offers you a pittance - would you accept it?

Personally firslty I wouldn't touch someone who had consumed 16 drinks.  But that is just me.  Secondly if I knew that 25K was going to be the best I could get - then yes I would accept it.  Simon knew he didn't have the money - perhaps he was expecting his parents to cough it up and bail him out.  

I actually admire his parents for not doing this, yes they loaned him the money for his defence but they expected pay back.

#65 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 30/07/2012, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(D'Arcy still thinks he was justified and acting in self defence)

Now you are speculating very badly!

#66 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 30/07/2012, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So in your mind nobody can make poor decisions in their youth and ever be forgiven them?

Didn't you know everyone else on here is PERFECT!!!!!!! as will their offspring be.

#67 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 30/07/2012, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't you know everyone else on here is PERFECT!!!!!!! as will their offspring be.

Apparently sad.gif

#68 BetteBoop

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 30/07/2012, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 30/07/2012, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So repeated, highly violent acts are your definition of a simple mistake? They're not mine.

And if we don't forget all about anything bad someone does and just focus on how they might win gold, then we're feigning perfection?

I guess I'm perfect then because I don't know anyone whose 'mistakes' have resulted in other people needing multiple surgeries.

#69 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Now you are speculating very badly!
He was quoted as saying this quite a few times following the incident.

Maybe they misquoted him!

Oh and Maybe Tim Peach is also mistaken!

Edited by ILBB, 30 July 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#70 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 30/07/2012, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So repeated, highly violent acts are your definition of a simple mistake? They're not mine.

And if we don't forget all about anything bad someone does and just focus on how they might win gold, then we're feigning perfection?

I guess I'm perfect then because I don't know anyone whose 'mistakes' have resulted in other people needing multiple surgeries.

Who said it was a 'simple' mistake. Don't put words into my mouth, I abhor physical violence. People are entitled to be rehabilitated and remorseful and to work towards making better decisions. I am certain you would want the same for yourself and your child if something ever happened.

Do not presume that the only reason people want Nick to succeed is because he might win GOLD.He has many people on his side but of course these are the people who know him!

#71 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 30/07/2012, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

D'arcy at present is not a repeat offender.  One mistake, one punch after 16 drinks, after someone has raised their hand to your face/head and that one punch used excessive force. (Which maybe if he only had 10 drinks wouldn't have been as hard of a punch) I don't think they need to condemed for life.

Edited by MrsLexiK, 30 July 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#72 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

D'arcy at present is not a repeat offender. One mistake, one punch after 16 drinks, after someone has raised their hand to your face/head and that one punch used excessive force. (Which maybe if he only had 10 drinks wouldn't have been as hard of a punch) I don't think they need to condemed for life.
You forget about Tim Peach!

#73 Soontobegran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 30/07/2012, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He was quoted as saying this quite a few times following the incident.

Maybe they misquoted him!

Oh and Maybe Tim Peach is also mistaken!

She said he "STILL" thinks it was justified and in self defence. What he said several years ago when the incident happened is irrelevant to what is happening now and what he is saying now!

I guess you are another who doesn't believe in rehabilitation? Perhaps we should just give up on everyone who strays in their youth?

#74 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

She said he "STILL" thinks it was justified and in self defence. What he said several years ago when the incident happened is irrelevant to what is happening now and what he is saying now!

I guess you are another who doesn't believe in rehabilitation? Perhaps we should just give up on everyone who strays in their youth?

No - but I did hear his interview after the gun photo - no change of tune or remorse for his actions - but maybe his public persona is so different to his real self - so I say lets see it!

#75 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 30/07/2012, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Our streets would be full of unemployed bums who can't get a job because of something stupid they did long long ago.

Personally - and I don't know Nick or his family - think that it was good faith offering $25K knowing that is all he had.  To me that shows that he is sorry and I really hope he can stick up all the people who are against him.  He said a few days ago " I know I will have a small cheer squad" to me that is sad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.