The shame files
Problems with prams

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 SnazzyFeral

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

I do have a big pram and while there are some shops I don't go to any more it is not a big deal for me.
I hate that the accesable buses don't come because the other kinds tend to drive past me or the driver will sigh while I try to sort out the nappy bag and put down a pram while holding a baby under my arm. Then I have to get all that stuff onto the bus. At the risk of sounding like my grandmother .... when I was a girl the bus driver helped you out by holding something or putting the pram down for you and carrying it onto the bus.

QUOTE (Mel.Bell @ 05/08/2012, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a huge 3 wheeler jogger (Mother's Choice with toddler seat attached) but I only ever use this when I go walking/running. I would NEVER take it with me anywhere as I can barely put it into the boot of my station wagon.

I am sick of seeing massive prams for tiny babies & I am a mother of two & we survive with a small stroller. The world doesn't resolve around 4WD prams rolleyes.gif

I note that you have a huge 3 wheeler that you take out walking. The reason I have the pram I do and it is a big one is because I walk everywhere because I don't drive. My son also has a higher chance of having ASD so a rear facing option is really important to me because of some early intervention theories. What would you suggest I do? I also have sciatica so after walking to the shops and walking around the shops a sling is not an option. Just because you don't have the same circumstances as someone else does not mean that they a lesser.

#27 Let-it-go

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

Seed, this one defies logic......you are a baby/kids clothing store but so strangely designed that you can hardly navigate a pram around.  The newest one in adelaide is 2 story with no lift....ummmmm is there a babysitting service downstairs so I can go upstairs????  

To you sydneysiders, i feel sorry for the pram users.  I was in tears caught in the rain, no buses to get the pram on, cant hail a taxi as they need carseats, had to walk up to a main road in pouring rain to get a bus that I could get on with the pram.  I have had to ask people to help me carry my pram in train stations.  Hard work city with a pram (I cant even imagine how hard with a wheelchair).

And too the OP with said department store....yep been there bought the tshirt.  And they keep whinging in the press about the terrible retail conditions and the 'gfc'.  Well, let me tell you I spent $30 in your store and $450 the next day on Gap online from the US.  Your retail woes have nothing to do with the gfc.  They are there because you are rubbish.

#28 FeralAlpacaWarrior

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (dolcengabbana @ 02/08/2012, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I completely agree and noted what was written all I was trying to get across was again a friendly reminder for people to be polite and give a person a chance to explain if they are entitled to park there and it was because of the following wording.

"but heaven help the person I see who does the wrong thing, my wrath will have no bounds! "

You see people have let loose with there wrath on us before realising what our situation is and its devastating to the person living with a disAbility or being the carer/lover of the person with a disAbility. It ruins your day, it hurts its another slap in the face.

I get what you are saying. And while I would have words with someone who parked in an accessible spot without a permit, I would of course take a wait and see approach, I understand that some people only put their permit up after they park. That really is crappy that people have had a go at you before you had a chance to explain. I get it, I really do. As a 35 year old without a noticeable "visible" disability, I have had to defend myself as well.

It's frustrating where I live as while the shopping centre has the required minimum of accessible spaces, we have a large elderly population so the spots are nearly always all taken.

#29 StartledFlamingo

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Mel.Bell @ 05/08/2012, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I the only one who doesn't have any dificulties with my pram? It's a tiny one that is smaller than a shopping trolley so of course it can fit anywhere (Kmart, Coles, Myer, Woolies ANYWHERE!!!). It has a basket down the bottom where I keep some food for the kids just in case & I have a small backpack attached to the back of the stroller for my wallet, nappy, wipes & spare clothes.

I have a huge 3 wheeler jogger (Mother's Choice with toddler seat attached) but I only ever use this when I go walking/running. I would NEVER take it with me anywhere as I can barely put it into the boot of my station wagon.

I am sick of seeing massive prams for tiny babies & I am a mother of two & we survive with a small stroller. The world doesn't resolve around 4WD prams rolleyes.gif

Well, if you consider large chain stores as the only stores there are, then yes you'll probably get around ok in a pram (and if you never enter pharmacies!).  But there are many smaller stores, independent stores in strip shops etc that have steps, narrow doorways and clogged aisles.  It is frustrating.

Like a PP, I walk almost everywhere, so I have one pram.  It's not huge but I can't get in some shops.  When DS is older yes I'll get an easy little stroller but whilst he's too young for that and in the bassinet and I'm also going for a 2 hour walk then hey, I'll take my comfy pram.  It's hard to get small prams with the bassinet - so a small baby does actually require more room than a toddler in an umbrella stroller.   And sure a $1500 designer pram may be smaller and manouverable but it's too much money.  Mine is also pretty light and fits into our boot.  It seems more sensible to me at this stage of DS' life to have one all-purpose pram rather than several.

I have a baby carrier too and will take that for a very quick light shop.  But mostly I shop 1 km away and although it's close, it's too far for me to comfortably walk with an 8kg baby on the front and several kilos of shopping too.  I can only imagine this getting worse as he's older and more grabby.

I find it quite amusing that you admit to having a huge pram but abuse others for having large prams too!

#30 Mel.Bell

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

My stroller fits anywhere .. ANY shop ... ANYWHERE & I walk everywhere too as I cannot drive (epilepsy). I take my jogger when I run or go for walks like EXERCISE.

#31 prue~c

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

Yes and disabled people are parents/children too and as always in these sorts of threads the OP is trying to win her argument over why things should be perfect for her and her pram, she has brought the disabled into it, as she knows that what she is whining about is pretty petty otherwise.

I don't think my argument is petty. Having a pram has made me realise how inaccessible Sydney must be for people with disabilities, however I am not disabled, and therefore am not writing from that perspective.

Why shouldn't things we accessible for ALL? Most of my examples, as you have read, refer to stores, departments or facilities designed specifically for people with children, who generally need a pram. It doesn't take a great deal of thought at the planning stage to build in accessibility.

Even retrofitting wider doors, rearranging fixtures, and moving stock out of pathways would make things much easier to get around.

Edited by prue~c, 06 August 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#32 Cath42

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

What I can't understand is the lack of planning and foresight on the part of retailers and shop owners. It stands to reason that if you own a store, you know a fair bit about your target demographic and make it possible for them to come into the store and browse and shop comfortably. What is the point in opening a children's clothing store in a building where customers have to climb up flights of stairs and can't get their prams in the door? And what is the point in cluttering up entry points with boxes of things on sale? My father took my two younger children in a pram to a chemist last week and could barely get in the door. My father is no interior designer, but he's an expert packer of car boots and it would take him less than half a day to organise a store so that people could actually get in and out the door and have room to move while inside. It's not rocket science.

Retailers are screaming blue murder about the new trend of internet shopping. No doubt the fact that it's often cheaper to buy online is a factor, but many people would prefer to be able to browse in a shop if only it was easier to do. It's much easier to choose sizes and age-appropriate toys correctly if you can see what you're buying.

And I couldn't agree more about the situation with bathrooms in shopping centres. It's not just inconvenient; it's a huge safety issue. In an emergency situation where everybody had to get out of the bathroom/parents area in a hurry, how on Earth would they do it? Prams and wheelchairs, people who are not as mobile as others, all trying to manouver their way in single file through doors and down hallways. It doesn't bear thinking about.

#33 sleeplessmamma

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

I'm an OT and when doing a prac for uni on the accessibility of Perth beaches for people w disabilities the biggest shocker we found were the disabled toilets at North Cottesloe beach. They were completely inaccessible for someone in a wheelchair. Steps leading up from the beach and steps leading down from the street. No ramp! The sad thing is they were the best facilities we'd seen just no one could access!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.