Not Rocket Science

Photo

Truth is funnier than fiction

Posted by Cluckster , 16 August 2011 - - - - - - · 124 views

DS 3.5yo
*while observing me change the bedsheets
DS: "you have to do everything because you're the mum. When I grow up and I'm a mum, I'll have to do everything too"
Me: "you won't be a mum; you'll be a dad."
DS: "oh yeah. That means I won't have to do anything."

*rapidly followed by a lecture in equality...

Photo

You're a What Now?

Posted by Cluckster , 20 June 2011 - - - - - - · 48 views

Firstly, I can hardly believe 6 months have elapsed since I last wrote in this blog. My life has been a whirlwind this year so something had to give I guess.

Hannah, now 5 and a half, has entered a new phase in fashion. She confidently flipped her hair as she strutted along the cafe strip in a carefully constructed, rather too-grown-up outfit.

Me: "...

Photo

3yo Fairytale

Posted by Cluckster , 12 January 2011 - - - - - - · 59 views

My children enjoy creating and acting out stories. DD is a traditionalist who follows known fairytales or simple extensions of them. DS, on the other hand is more inventive. I'm glad to nurture such creativity.

I question the merit of encouragement, however, when the tales commence as DS's did today:

"Once upon a time, there was a big smell...

Photo

INTESTINAL FORTITUDE REQUIRED.

Posted by Cluckster , 29 December 2010 - - - - - - · 108 views

I passed the bathroom door and glimpsed a little person out of the corner of my eye sitting spread-eagled on the toilet inspecting his own bottom. I know he was doing this because he'd pulled some inconveniently located genitalia out of the way to get a better look. It's not unusual, so I walked on.

A minute later, I walked back past the door jus...

Photo

Not Heart Disease

Posted by Cluckster , 09 December 2010 - - - - - - · 65 views

I don't have heart disease. Dr J's interpretation of events was that I fainted.
In his haste to write cardiac bloodwork instructions, he forgot to include the diabetes test in the list of checks so I have to have another BT. Yippee. But it's all good. As my mother said: "the lesser of two evils".

Photo

Heart Disease

Posted by Cluckster , 23 November 2010 - - - - - - · 115 views

I am sitting here listening to my heart pulse in my ears. Listening to every sign.

Today I had my final exam for the year and, indeed, for my post-grad studies. It was jubilation for a short hour. I have to start this entry again, to begin from Sunday, to explain.

I was studying on the back deck with my iPod plinking some indie rock ballad through my ea...

Photo

Investigative Scientist Age 3

Posted by Cluckster , 28 October 2010 - - - - - - · 39 views

Hannah and Cameron rushed the bathroom at the end of school/daycare pickup both shouting their greater toileting need. Curse of the one-bathroom house. Hannah won the sprint and so Cameron prowled the bathroom for something to pick up/play with/break. I went in to wash my hands and Cam disappeared into a not-quite-tidy kitchen still looking for something...

Photo

Sorry

Posted by Cluckster , 14 September 2010 - - - - - - · 117 views

I'm struggling today.
A few days ago I woke with a cold and after a few sleepless nights decided some chemical resurrection was in order and popped a couple of nighttime cold tablets. Obviously the dose is meant for someone larger than I, as I woke this morning feeling like I was moving through a bucket of peanut butter. So I took the Day version to...

Photo

Imagination

Posted by Cluckster , 12 August 2010 - - - - - - · 53 views

I'm pleased to report that despite the school yard politics Hannah has weathered recently, her sense of humour and imagination remain undented.

During bathtime, I mechanically repeat "Wash your faces and your special bits" every night. Well to be honest, they've only recently become 'special bits' because I got tired of saying...

Photo

Kindergarten Politics

Posted by Cluckster , 07 July 2010 - - - - - - · 199 views

I must preface this entry with an apology for being so hopelessly behind in the diary. Studying took away all recreational computer time during last semester. It also took away a dangerous amount of weight (last time I weighed less than 50kgs I was 16...).

This entry is really just to put down my worries about Hannah's school experience. I always ima...

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Search My Blog

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.