This one is super at holding shape, and since it has little butter and no eggs it keeps for yonks once baked. Also surprisingly healthy for a biscuit recipe. We've tweaked it and upped the spice level, so if you don't want lots of spice maybe back it off a bit.
Coles sells a 550g jar of Blue Label Molasses in the Health Food section of some stores.
Gingerbread Cookies (yields 2 ½ dozen)
550 g molasses
220 g brown sugar
160 g cold water
70 g butter
1125 g flour
10 g baking soda
5 g salt
1 heaped tbl sp ground allspice
3 heaped tbl sp ground ginger
1 full tbl sp ground cloves
2 heaped tbl sp ground cinnamon
• Mix together the molasses, brown sugar, water and shortening.
• Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, allspice, ginger, cloves and cinnamon.
• Add to sugar mixture and mix well, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
• Roll dough 0.5cm thick on floured board. Cut with floured cutters.
• Place about 2 inches apart on lined cookie sheet.
• Bake at 175ºC for 10-12 minutes