A 17-year-old boy has died after a hickey he received from his girlfriend caused him to suffer a stroke.
After spending the evening with his 24-year-old girlfriend, Julio Macias Gonzalez, of Mexico City, had convulsions while eating dinner with his family, reports local media Hoy Estado De México and the Independent.
Doctors believe the suction of the hickey - or love bite - caused a blood clot, which travelled to the teenager's brain and caused the fatal stroke.
Emergency services were called, but Gonzalez died at the family home.
The 17-year-old's parents blame his older girlfriend who has reportedly gone into hiding – noting that they disapproved of the seven-year age gap between them.
It's only the second reported instance of a love-bite induced stroke. In another case, published in the New Zealand Medical Journal in 2010, a 44-year-old woman presented to emergency unable to move her left arm.
When doctors examined the woman, they found a "small vertical bruise" on her neck - a love bite sustained several days prior to the neurological symptoms.
One of the woman's treating doctor's, Dr Teddy Whu said at the time, "Because it was a love bite there would be a lot of suction.
"Because of the physical trauma, it had made a bit of bruising inside the blood vessel.
"There was a clot in the artery underneath where the hickey was."
The clot then dislodged, travelling to the woman's heart where it caused a minor stroke.
The 44-year-old was treated with blood thinners and made a full recovery – the case report describing the hickey-inducted stroke as a "rare phenomenon."