Growing up in Australia was a wondrous thing – the barbecue came to life during family gatherings, the Hills Hoist served many different purposes, and that old Esky your dad purchased in his 20s is still going strong. Take a walk down memory lane and have a chuckle at these clear signs that you grew up in a typical Australian home.
1. This is what your frontyard looked like once a week.
2. The "No Junk Mail" sticker never proved successful.
3. Beware of the bindis.
4. Finding one of these sneaky little devils was no biggie.
Photo: Beta Crumb
5. This was the go-to source for finding a tradie (and also used for propping open a door).
Photo: Yellow Pages Australia
6. There were a zillion of these lying around...
Photo: Louie Douvis
7. You got one of these from Maccas way back when and it's still your favourite cup.
8. This dynamic duo was always stocked in the fridge.
Photo: Samelias Mum
9. You've had one of these for your birthday at least once.
Photo: Plenty Food Group
10. Your mum packed your Dollarmites into your school bag.
11. The typical blue Esky was ever so handy.
12. If you wanted to sit outside at night, you needed this to stop yourself from being eaten alive by mosquitoes.
Photo: Health by Tez
13. And this for those pesky flies.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons
14. Outdoor plastic table and chairs were a necessity.
Photo: Garden Furniture Wiki
15. Many backyard gatherings revolved around this.
Photo: Australian Aesthetics
16. As kids, the Hills Hoist in the backyard was better than any swing (fast forward many years later and it was then used for a game of Goon of Fortune).
Photo: (Left) Stocksy (Right) Zanerobe