Glitter phones cases are burning people

Recalled MixBin iPhone cases
Recalled MixBin iPhone cases Photo: www.cpsc.gov

If you, or your children, have a glitter-filled iPhone case it might be time to get a new one, after reports the liquid inside could cause chemical burns.

And just this week, a company that manufactures the cases recalled them.

According to a US Consumer Product Safety Commission release, the company, MixBin, recalled the "liquid glitter iPhone cases" for iPhone 6, 6s and 7 and cases sold between 2015 to June. The cases were sold at a variety of US retail outlets, including Nordstrom and Victoria's Secret.

The decision to recall the products stemmed from worldwide reports of serious reactions to the liquid inside the cases.

"There have been 24 reports worldwide of skin irritation or chemical burns, including 19 in the US," the company said in the statement.

"One consumer reportered permanent scarring from a chemical burn and another consumer reported chemical burns and swelling to her leg, face, neck, chest, upper body and hands."

The warning comes after many girls shared images of burns on their social media accounts from similar cases.

BuzzFeed News asked followers to get in touch with their own experiences. It was unclear if all the examples were from cases made by the company that has since recalled its product, or other companies' cases.

Advertisement

Stephanie told BuzzFeed News she got a burn on her leg from her phone being in her pocket at work.

"Throughout the day, I felt a burning sensation on my leg but I thought they were just razor burns or something because that's usually what it is," she said.

"When I got home my leg was a really bright red."

Her leg took a month to heal, but she will probably be left with a scar.

Another victim, Cassy said while she'd heard rumours the cases could burn you she got one anyway. And she had it for a year without incident, until she woke up one day and her "arm was burning".

"A few hours later I noticed that the burn was a straight line and a little puffy," she said.

"I put my phone against my arm and it resembled the same shape as the burn

"So I came to the realisation that I fell asleep on my phone, which caused the liquid to leak on my arm."

Melissa, told BuzzFeed News that she noticed a crack in her case, and then her thumb starting hurting.

"I checked my phone case and sure enough, there was liquid coming out of those cracks," she said.

"And they got on my thumb and whatever that substance was burned me."