Boy, 3, dies in mum's arms after choking on a bouncy ball

Alby, left, with siblings Acre and Sage.
Alby, left, with siblings Acre and Sage. Photo: Instagram/The Small Folk

A three-year-old boy has died after choking on a bouncy ball that was to be a party bag favour at his upcoming birthday party.  

The toy became lodged in Alby Davis' windpipe when was playing with it at his Tasmanian home on Monday. Despite desperate attempts by his mother, Anna Davis, to save her little boy, he died in her arms.

Mrs Davis, from Wynyard on the state's north-west coast, is currently pregnant with her fourth child and posted an emotional tribute to their "sweet little fox" to her Instagram account.

The last photo of Alby before his death.
The last photo of Alby before his death. Photo: Instagram

"Yesterday afternoon, our beautiful, beautiful Alby, our darling baby boy, grew wings and flew from this earth," she wrote. "Minutes pass like hours and the gaping hole in our lives and hearts is completely incomprehensible. We adore you beyond belief ...Forever three, forever free ."

According to a Go Fund Me page, set up by family friend Amber Cooke on behalf of the Davis family Alby's father Simon Davis is a relief teacher and not entitled to leave, while Ms Davis runs her own business, The Small Folk. 

"In this time of unfathomable grief, this beautiful family need time to mourn and surround each other in love, without having the financial burdens of daily life and work commitments weighing on their minds," Ms Cooke wrote. "Let us come together to offer our support in any amount we can. We may live far away, even separated by oceans, but let us band together to help Anna and her family feel our love and presence during this time."

The couple has since received an outpouring of love and support, with over $187,000 raised in just 24 hours, surpassing the original goal of $100,000.

In an updated post, Alby's grieving mother took to Instagram to thank the community, explaining that their thoughts, prayers, sympathy and tears had "enveloped and uplifted" them during a time of immense grief. "No words could ever express the depths of our gratitude for the outpouring of love we have received since our worst nightmare became our daily reality," she wrote. 


Mrs Davis also shared the last photo she took of her little boy, less than a hour before his death. "'I can't wait to go to bed tonight Mum'" she wrote, alongside an image of a beaming Alby. " Our precious boy, with his brand new doona cover, 2.49pm on Monday afternoon... exactly 40 minutes before he took his final earthside breath in my arms."

Also mum to Sage and Acre, Mrs Davis is 25 weeks pregnant with her fourth child. 

The Coroner's Office confirmed it had begun investigating the death of a child on Tasmania's North-West Coast on Monday.

"As the matter is ongoing, no further information can be released at this stage," a spokesperson said.

You can make a donation to the Davis family here.