Boy fighting for life after schoolyard knock in Bankstown

Nedal Chemaisse suffered a medical episode after being knocked over in a schoolyard game at Wattawa Heights Public ...
Nedal Chemaisse suffered a medical episode after being knocked over in a schoolyard game at Wattawa Heights Public School in Bankstown.  Photo: Nine News

The group of children were just having a bit of fun in the playground of their Bankstown primary school on Tuesday morning, when it all went horribly wrong.

A shove in the back knocked "happy and popular" Nedal Chemaisse to the ground, and he did not get up.

A mother from the school said her son saw the 10-year-old go blue in the face after the mock schoolyard fight.

Wattawa Heights Public School.
Wattawa Heights Public School. Photo: Google Maps

"He told me he give him 'box' and another boy he's got on the floor and he see the face blue," she told reporters outside Wattawa Heights Public School.

"He say all this just a joke, not real."

Teachers rushed to help, and treated Nedal with an EpiPen believing he had gone into anaphylactic shock, NSW Ambulance paramedic Daniel Campan said.

"They found the boy to be unresponsive and then commenced CPR," Mr Campan said.

Another paramedic told reporters that quick action from teachers saved the boy's life.

"The teachers were doing an amazing­ job, there were lots of them in there and they were doing really effective­ CPR which really gave this child the best chance of survival," NSW Ambulance paramedic Sasha Gregory said.


While it was initially thought Nedal had suffered an allergic reaction, police said it was believed he suffered a different medical episode after the fall.

Nedal was taken to The Children's Hospital at Westmead, where he remains in a critical but stable condition.

Nedal's mother, who was overseas at the time but is now on her way back to her son's bedside, thanked first responders for saving her son.

"We are grateful for the quick response from the school, paramedics and the NSW Police for all their efforts for saving my son's life," Rana Zahed Chemaisse said in a statement.

"We've never had any issues with fights or bullying and I'm not sure of what has happened to escalate to this serious matter.

"I want to emphasise that he is a happy and popular child at the school and we've never had any problems there."

Police investigated the incident and established a crime scene in the schoolyard on Tuesday afternoon.

A large number of police officers attended the primary school with sections of the school playground and a toilet block taped off as officers inspected the area.

Police officers spoke to the students involved, but police said they don't expect to take further action.

Deputy Secretary for the NSW Department of Education Murat Dizdar said the school would investigate and take "appropriate action where necessary".

"We had a number of students involved in a game that's gone tragically wrong," he said.

In a post to its now-deactivated Facebook page on Wednesday morning, Wattawa Heights Public School said it was "offering support to the family of the student injured at school yesterday and is working with police to determine the circumstances around the injury.

"When accurate information about what occurred is available, the school will share that with parents and carers," the post said.

With Jenny Noyes