Autistic teen bashed on bus by youths
An autistic teenager who was bashed by a group of five thugs on the weekend says he is now too scared to leave his own house after the horrifying attack. Vision courtesy Seven News Melbourne.
An autistic teenager who was bashed by a group of five thugs in Melbourne's west on the weekend says he is now too scared to leave his own house after the horrifying attack.
In an interview with radio station 3AW, the 17-year-old's mother said the youths, who she believed were Sudanese, approached her son while he was travelling on a bus at Tarneit on Saturday.
He said the youths demanded his mobile phone and sneakers.
"When he wouldn't hand them over, they attacked him," his mother told 3AW.
"He's home today from school, he suffered a concussion. I had him to the doctors again yesterday, he needs to have a CT scan today because they kicked him to the head. The bus driver said it was quite frightening, what he witnessed," she said.
Asked how her son was feeling about 72 hours after the brutal attack, the woman became emotional, saying the teen didn't want to travel on public transport again.
She said on Sunday her son had broken down.
"He started crying and he said 'Mum, I'm scared'."
The woman urged the State Government to crack down on violence.
"There'll be a life, more than one life, taken soon. My son was lucky he got out of it the way he did," she said.
"When is the Government going to wake up ... I'm very angry, very very angry," she said.
On Tuesday afternoon, the teenager told 3AW he was too "scared to leave my front door, of my house".
The boy said he was left concussed after the attack.
"Two of the kids kicked me in the face, and I was just, I just took the hit. I didn't do anything back because, well, that's just me," he said.
After he was kicked the boy said he hit his head on the bus window.
The 17-year-old said he had "been bullied a lot" in the past.
Victoria Police confirmed on Tuesday that one youth had already been charged in relation to the incident.
"Wyndham North police have charged a teen with attempted robbery and assault following an incident on a bus in Tarneit on Saturday 14 April. It's alleged the 16-year-old boy was part of a group who assaulted a 17-year-old boy on the bus," a police spokeswoman said.
"Police arrested the teen at the scene, and he's been bailed to appear at the Children's Court at a later date. The police investigation to identify others involved in the incident is continuing and anyone with information is urged to contact CrimeStoppers," she said.