Online alcoholic drink recipe examined after death of 15-year-old Sydney girl

Paris Kamper, 15, died after consuming a lethal amount of alcohol.
Paris Kamper, 15, died after consuming a lethal amount of alcohol. Photo: Facebook

A 15-year-old girl was drinking alone at her north-west Sydney family home last Friday when she watched an online instructional recipe video and consumed a deadly cocktail resulting in a blood alcohol level of eight times the legal driving limit.

The teenager, who has been identified as Paris Kamper, was found unconscious at the semi-rural property in Kenthurst shortly before 9.30pm on Friday, before emergency services were called to take her to The Children’s Hospital at Westmead.

Despite the best efforts of medical experts, who kept the teenager under sedation and on ventilation across the weekend, she died on Monday morning just before noon.

"The disturbing fact about this whole case is that the young lady was 15 years of age," Superintendent Rob Critchlow, The Hills Police Area Commander, said, describing the teenager as "free-spirited, well-respected and well-liked".

"How pointless and tragic and sad and avoidable it is, the death of a 15-year-old child, drinking alcohol on her own in what should be a place of safety."

Superintendent Critchlow said it was clear that the ingestion of alcohol led directly or indirectly to young girl's death.

Upon arrival at the hospital her blood alcohol content was 0.4, which is considered to be in the lethal limit for alcohol consumption.

"The legal [driving] limit of 0.05 is when a grown adult starts to show the affects of alcohol ... 0.37 and up you run a very real risk of death," he said.

A post mortem examination is due this week.

Advertisement

Officers from The Hills Police Area Command have seized items from the home including a bottle of alcohol, lollies and energy drinks, all of which will be examined by the coroner.

It is understood the teenage girl sourced the video for a homemade alcoholic drink online, before consuming the resulting beverage.

Superintendent Critchlow said investigators would explore all legal avenues available, if it was determined that the online video or platform contributed to the 15-year-old's decision to consume the deadly cocktail, including seeking assistance from international partners.

"Anyone who thinks that making an instructional video on how to consume excessive amounts of alcohol in a dangerous manner is sensible or desirable, they are wrong and they need to stop it," he said.

“We have a family devastated by the death of their beloved daughter; they have a lot of questions ... they are obviously very distressed."

Superintendent Critchlow urged parents to speak with their children about the dangers of underage and uninformed alcohol consumption.

“We will endeavour to find answers, but our message has to be: do not risk your health experimenting with high-risk information sourced online."

It is understood Paris attended school locally, worked in a local part-time job and was an equestrian rider.

Police described her as "deeply engaged in animals," such as chickens, horses and livestock, at her family property, where she enjoyed a "pretty idyllic lifestyle."

Do you know more? Email lucy.cormack@fairfaxmedia.com.au