Apple & strawberry crumble
This dessert delivers everything you want in a crumble with less fat and kilojoules than traditional fruit crumbles. It is also rich in carbohydrate.
Have your say
Apple strawberry crumble
- 800 g (1 lb 12 oz) tin apple pie fruit
- 1 tbs caster (superfine) sugar
- 250 g (9 oz/1⅔ cups) strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 75 g (2¾ oz/¾ cup) rolled oats
- 60 g (2¼ oz/⅓ cup) soft brown sugar
- 85 g (3 oz/½ cup) wholemeal (wholewheat) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tbs pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 50 g (1¾ oz) cold butter, chopped
- low-fat vanilla or strawberry yoghurt, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Place the apples in a 1.5 litre (52 fl oz/6 cup), deep 20 × 5 cm (8 × 2 in) ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the sugar and stir through the strawberries.
2. Combine the rolled oats, sugar, flour and pepitas in a bowl. Rub in the butter, using the fingertips, until crumbly. Do not overmix. Spread evenly over the apple. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with the yoghurt.