Apple and pear sorbet
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 4 large green apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 piece of lemon zest (1.5 cm × 4 cm)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons Calvados or poire William liqueur, optional
1. Place the apple and pear in a large deep saucepan with the lemon zest, cinnamon stick and enough water to just cover the fruit. Cover and poach the fruit gently over medium– low heat for 6–8 minutes, or until tender. Remove the lemon zest and cinnamon stick. Place the fruit in a food processor and blend with the lemon juice until smooth.
2. Place the sugar in a saucepan with 80 ml (⅓ cup) water, bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute. Add the fruit purée and the liqueur and combine.
3. Pour into a shallow metal tray and freeze for 2 hours, or until the mixture is frozen around the edges. Transfer to a food processor or bowl and blend or beat until just smooth. Pour back into the tray and return to the freezer. Repeat this process three times. For the final freezing, place in an airtight container, cover the surface with a piece of greaseproof paper and cover with a lid. Serve in small glasses or bowls.