A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 8 cooking apples (about 1.4 kg)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 cup (125 g/4 oz) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (95 g/3 oz) soft brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) butter, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Peel and core the apples and cut each one into 8 wedges. Place in a saucepan with ¼ cup (60 ml/2 fl oz) water, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the apples are just soft. Remove from the heat, drain and then stir in the sugar. Spoon the apple into a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish.
2. Place the flour in a bowl and stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the butter and rub with just your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the apple mixture to cover completely. Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown. Serve immediately with cream or ice cream.