Apricot lemon pavlova
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 4 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 425 g can apricot halves, puréed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
1. Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Brush a 32 × 28 cm baking tray with melted butter or oil. Line with baking paper. Mark a 20 cm circle on paper.
2. Place egg whites in small, dry mixing bowl. Using electric beaters, beat egg whites until stiff. Add sugar gradually, beating constantly after each addition until mixture is thick and glossy and all the sugar has dissolved. Add vinegar and essence; beat until combined.
3. Spread mixture over circle, making a slight depression in the centre. Reduce oven to slow 150oC and bake for 1½ hours or until pale and crisp. Turn oven off. Cool completely on tray in oven, with door slightly ajar.
4. To make filling: Beat egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in medium, heatproof bowl until thick and pale. Heat apricot purée, juice and rind in medium pan until almost boiling; remove from heat. Add apricot mixture to egg mixture, beating constantly. Pour mixture into pan. Stir constantly over medium heat 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Place plastic wrap over custard surface; cool.
5. Spoon cold filling into depression in meringue shell, smooth surface. Stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve cut into wedges with whipped cream, and shredded lemon zest.