Asian mushroom hotpot
This simple and delicious mushroom hot pot is big on flavour. You should be able to source most ingredients from your local Asian grocer.
Flavour-fest: Asian mushroom hot pot. Photo: William Meppem
Have your say
200g fresh shiitake mushrooms
200g oyster mushrooms
100g fresh cloud ear fungi
200g enoki mushrooms
2 spring onions
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 1/2cm knob ginger, chopped
2 small cloves garlic, chopped
100g chilli bean sauce
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
1 1/2 tbsp castor sugar
1/2 tbsp Chinese light soy sauce
2 cups chicken stock (or use a vegetarian stock if required)
1 tsp chilli oil
splash of mushroom soy sauce
few drops of sesame oil
1. Remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms and discard. Slice the shiitake and oyster mushrooms. Tear the fungi into bite-sized pieces. Cut off the ends of the enoki mushrooms and discard.
2. Cut the spring onion into 4-5cm lengths.
3. Heat wok over a high heat. When smoking, add peanut oil and stir-fry the ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add the chilli bean sauce and stir-fry briefly.
4. Deglaze with the Shaoxing wine, then add the sugar, light soy sauce, chicken (or vegetable) stock and chilli oil. Bring stock to the boil and check seasoning.
5. Add the mushrooms to the stock, starting with the shiitakes, then the fungi and oyster mushroom, finishing with the enoki, and then adding spring onion. Gently braise until they are soft, about five minutes.
6. Just before serving, add mushroom soy sauce and sesame oil.
Serve in a large earthenware pot at the table to share.