A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 90 g butter, chopped
- 2–3 tablespoons iced water
- 2 × 340 g cans asparagus spears
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
1. Sift flours into large mixing bowl, return husks to bowl; add butter. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour for 2 minutes or until the mixture is fine and crumbly. Add almost all the water, mix to a firm dough, adding more water if necessary. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, press together until smooth. Brush a 20 cm round springform tin with melted butter or oil. Roll out pastry large enough to cover base and sides of tin. Ease pastry into tin; trim 2 cm below edge of tin and fold top over to form a rim. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 20 minutes.
2. Drain the asparagus thoroughly, reserving eight spears. Cut the remainder into 2 cm lengths. Heat oil in a heavy-based frying pan and cook onion over low heat until soft.
3. Place cream, milk and eggs in mixing bowl, whisk until well combined. Place cut asparagus, onion and cheese into pastry shell; pour in filling. Arrange reserved spears on top; bake 40 minutes or until set and golden.