Baked spicy sausages with sweet potato
An Italian friend inspired this recipe. Merguez sausages are perfect but any quality sausage will work just as well.
Have your say
Baked spicy sausages with sweet potato. Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 6 merguez sausages (available from specialty butchers), thickly sliced
- 800g sweet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into thick chunks
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- sea salt
- ½ loaf ciabatta, roughly torn
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- handful fresh coriander leaves
- handful fresh mint leaves
- 1 small white onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- harissa (optional), to serve
Preheat oven to 200ºC fan-forced (220ºC conventional). Place sausages in a large roasting tin. Add sweet potato, paprika, chilli flakes, cumin and salt.
Add bread to tin. Drizzle with oil and toss gently. Roast, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender and sausages and bread are golden.
Meanwhile, place coriander, mint and onion in a serving dish. Dress with lemon juice and season with sea salt just before serving.
Serve with harissa on the side, if you like things spicy.