Bolognese with kale and paleo parmesan
When the winter chill kicks in, nothing warms the soul like a hearty mince-based meal. Here's my take on bolognese sauce on a bed of sauteed kale with 'paleo' parmesan.
You can use grass-fed beef mince, or kangaroo or emu mince for this bolognese sauce. Photo: Supplied
Have your say
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 brown onion, chopped
1/2 carrot, finely diced
1/2 celery stalk, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
550g grass-fed beef mince or other red meat mince (venison, kangaroo, lamb or emu)
1 tsp freshly chopped oregano
200ml dry red wine
2 tbsp tomato paste
500g tomato passata
300ml chicken stock (gluten-free if required)
1 pinch chilli flakes (optional)
freshly cracked black pepper
4 tbsp parsley, chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bunches kale, stalks removed, leaves torn
6 tbsp chicken stock (gluten-free is required)
freshly ground black pepper
70g macadamia nuts (activated if possible), finely chopped
1 tbsp parsley, chopped finely
1 anchovy fillet in salt, rinsed, pat dried and finely chopped
1 tbsp melted ghee or extra virgin olive oil
1/2 lemon, finely zested
freshly cracked black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 150C.
2. To make the paleo parmesan, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined. Season with a pinch of sea salt. Spread the nut mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake in the oven for five to eight minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool, then set aside.
3. To make the bolognese, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-to-high heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery, then cook for four to five minutes or until softened. Next, add the garlic and cook for a further one minute, or until fragrant and starting to brown. Add the mince and brown for five to six minutes, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon into smaller pieces. Stir in the oregano and wine and cook until the wine is almost evaporated, about four to five minutes.
4. Add the tomato paste and cook for one minute. Add the passata, half the chicken stock, chilli flakes (if using) and season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes and add the rest of the stock if needed. Toss the parsley through and keep the bolognese sauce warm.
5. To prepare the kale, heat a large frying pan over medium-to-high heat, add the oil and garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the kale and chicken stock and cook for three minutes, tossing occasionally until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. You can do this in batches if your pan is not big enough to contain all the kale.
6. Divide the sauteed kale onto four serving plates and top with bolognese sauce, then sprinkle with paleo parmesan.
Correction: the original version of this recipe listed honey as an ingredient. At the request of the author it has been removed.