This recipe is from Stephanie Alexander's 'The Cook's Companion'.
Photo: Quentin Jones
Have your say
- 2 eggplants, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 6 inner sticks celery, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup stoned green olives
- ½ cup well-drained capers
- 1½ cups fresh tomato sauce
- ½ cup white-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¾ cup slivered almonds, toasted
Sprinkle eggplant with salt and drain for 1 hour. In the meantime, blanch celery for 1 minute in boiling water.
Rinse eggplant well, drain, dry and fry in two-thirds of the oil until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
Saute onion in remaining oil until it begins to colour. Add celery and cook for a minute longer, then add olives, capers, tomato sauce, vinegar and sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Photo: Rebecca Hallas
Stir in eggplant and simmer for 10 minutes. Check seasoning and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Bring back to room temperature and serve sprinkled with almond slivers.