Capsicum, eggplant and pesto terrine
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 3 large red capsicums
- 750 g (about 2 small) eggplant salt
- ⅓ cup oil
- 500 g English spinach
- ⅓ cup pesto
1. Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Cut capsicums in half, remove seeds. Place them cut side down on an oven tray. Bake capsicum for 30 minutes or until skin blisters and browns. Cool and peel.
2. Cut eggplant into 5 mm slices, sprinkle with salt, stand 45 minutes. Rinse slices under cold water, drain, dry very well with absorbent paper.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in pan, add a layer of eggplant slices. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Drain on absorbent paper. Repeat with remaining oil and eggplant.
4. Remove stalks from spinach leaves, place leaves in medium bowl, cover with hot water, stand 1 minute, drain, rinse under cold water. Line a 31 × 12 cm saddle tin with a double layer of spinach leaves, allowing leaves to drape over sides of tin.
5. Place a quarter of the eggplant in overlapping slices along the base of tin. Top with a third of the capsicum, spread with a quarter of the pesto. Repeat layering with remaining eggplant, capsicum and pesto.
6. Enclose filling completely with spinach leaves. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender, set aside to cool Store terrine, covered with plastic wrap in refrigerator. Turn out, serve sliced.