A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 310 g (11 oz/2 ½ cups) self-raising flour
- 115 g (4 oz/½ cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 125 g (4 ½ oz) butter
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) milk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 60 g (2 ¼ oz) butter, extra, softened
- 60 g (2 ¼ oz/⅓ cup) soft brown sugar
Caramel icing (frosting)
- 45 g (1 ½ oz) butter
- 45 g (1 ½ oz/¼ cup) soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 60 g (2 ¼ oz/½ cup) icing (confectioners') sugar, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to 210°C (415°F/Gas 6–7). Brush a shallow 23 cm (9 inch) square cake tin with oil.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the caster sugar and butter. Rub the butter into the flour until crumbly.
3. Add the combined milk and sour cream to the bowl. Stir until the mixture is almost smooth.
4. Turn the dough onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a large rectangle.
5. Combine the extra butter and brown sugar in a bowl. Spread the mixture evenly over the dough.
6. Roll dough from the long side into a log. Cut into 16 pieces. Place the slices, flat side down, in the tin.
7. Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly golden.
8. To make the icing, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the brown sugar and milk. Stir over low heat for 1 minute. Add the icing sugar and stir until smooth. Spread the cakes with the icing.