A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- ⅓ cup soft brown sugar
- ¾ cup self-raising flour
- 100 g butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 400 g sweetened condensed milk
- 30 g butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 120 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 60 g butter, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line base and sides of deep 28 × 18 cm rectangular tin with baking paper, extending over all sides of the tin.
2. Place the coconut, sugar and flour in a large bowl and mix together. Make a well in the centre. Stir in melted butter and essence; mix well. Press mixture evenly into base of prepared tin. Bake 12–15 minutes; remove slice from the oven before the edges begin to brown.
3. To make Topping: Place condensed milk, butter, golden syrup, and combined coffee and water in a small pan. Stir over medium heat until mixture boils. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, for another 5 minutes. Pour caramel mixture over cooked slice base. Return tray to oven and bake slice for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool in tin.
4. To make Icing: Place the chocolate and butter in a small, heatproof bowl. Stand the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until chocolate and butter have melted and the mixture is smooth. Spread icing evenly over the still-warm caramel layer of slice; smooth icing using a flat-bladed knife.