Caramelised apple mousse
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
Caramelised Apple Mousse
1. Place the butter and sugar in a frying pan and stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat to medium and cook until the mixture turns deeply golden, stirring frequently. Add 2 tablespoons of the cream and stir to remelt the caramel.
2. Add the apple wedges and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat for 10–15 minutes, or until caramelised. Remove eight apple wedges and set aside to use as garnish.
3. Blend the remaining apples and caramel in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl, then stir in the egg yolks and leave to cool.
4. Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form, then fold into the cooled apple mixture.
5. Whip the remaining cream until firm peaks form and fold into the apple mixture. Pour into a 3 cup (750 ml) serving bowl or four ¾ cup (185 ml) individual serving moulds. Refrigerate for 3 hours, or until firm. Serve with the reserved apple wedges.