Photo: Marina Oliphant
What do other kids like to eat and help make at home? A quick ring-around of friends and relatives revealed all things sweet rate highest. It's fun and easy to stir pancake batters and cake mixes, roll out gingerbread, ice cakes - and lick sticky fingers. Children also really like crumbing things, such as chicken, fish or even vegetables, getting hands-on and messy. And, when it's all golden and crispy, it's very yummy.
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots (about 1 large carrot)
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels (frozen or canned will do but freshly cooked tastes better)
- 1 egg
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp parsley or coriander, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1/2 tsp curry powder*
- Pinch salt
- Olive oil for frying
- (*I sneak the curry powder in and say nothing - it imparts a wonderful yellow colour and kids love it without knowing it is there.)
Combine the ingredients in a bowl. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat with a little olive oil. Fry spoonfuls of the mixture until golden brown on both sides. Drain on kitchen paper.
Serve with avocado dip.
Makes 12-15 fritters.
Got a favourite recipe? Share your recipe