Chicken and egg noodle soup
This soup is amazing with some shredded roast chicken and iceberg lettuce folded through it and can be served as a main meal when you're in need of a quick, nourishing dinner.
Benjamin Cooper's budget-friendly chicken and egg noodle soup. Photo: Kristoffer Paulsen
Have your say
250g thin egg noodles (or two-minute noodles)
600ml chicken stock
20ml shao hsing
15ml soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil tsp sugar
1 can creamed corn
pinch white pepper
1 medium knob of ginger, finely shredded spring onions, cut into rounds
1. Cook the noodles in boiling water for one to two minutes. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
2. In a pot, bring the chicken stock to the boil and add the shao hsing, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar and allow to simmer for one to two minutes.
3. Whisk the eggs and creamed corn together with the water and white pepper. Return the stock to the boil and slowly add the creamed corn mix so that the egg scrambles through the soup as it cooks.
4. Once all the corn is added, allow it to boil then reduce to a simmer, adding the ginger. Check seasoning and consistency (if too thick, add a little more water) and remove from heat.
5. In each of your bowls place your cooked noodles then ladle over your soup. Garnish with spring onion rounds and a drop of sesame or chilli oil.