Chicken and pistachio dumplings
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 300 g (10½ oz) minced (ground) chicken
- 80 g (2¾ oz/½ cup) unsalted pistachio nuts, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 20 round gow gee dumpling wrappers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 400 g (14 oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
1. Combine the chicken, pistachios, garlic, mint, lemon zest, allspice, cinnamon, Tabasco, ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper and some salt in a bowl. Spoon the mixture in the centre of the gow gee wrappers and bring the edges up around the filling, pleating as you go to encase the filling (leave the top open).
2. Line a steamer with baking paper and punch with holes. Place the dumplings in a single layer on top and cover with a lid. Sit the steamer over a wok or saucepan of boiling water and steam for 15 minutes, or until cooked. If the dumplings start to dry out during cooking, brush generously with water.
3. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, chilli and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened. Add the wine, tomatoes, cinnamon and Tabasco if using, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and transfer the sauce to a food processor. Blend until smooth, then season well.
4. To serve, spoon the sauce onto serving plates and place the dumplings on top, or arrange the dumplings on a platter and use the sauce for dipping.