Chicken, mint and pea risotto
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
A simple family meal: Chicken, mint and pea risotto.
Have your say
- 1.25 litres good-quality chicken stock (gluten-free if required)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500g skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 550g (2 1/2 cups) arborio rice
- 125ml white wine
- 140g (1 cup) frozen peas
- 100g (1 cup) finely grated parmesan cheese, plus extra, to serve
- 1/4 cup finely shredded mint leaves, plus whole leaves, extra, to serve
1. Put the stock in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook the chicken, in two batches, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until it is browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
3. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion to the pan, and cook stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the rice and stir to coat in the oil.
4. Stir in the wine and bring to the boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, or until the wine is absorbed. Add a ladleful of warm stock and cook, stirring, until it is absorbed. Continue to add the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring until absorbed.
5. After 10 minutes, return the chicken to the pan. Continue to cook, adding a ladleful of stock at a time, for another 10 minutes or until the rice is almost tender.
6. Stir in the peas and cook for 5 minutes or until the rice is tender, but firm to the bite, and the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parmesan and shredded mint and set aside, covered, for 1 minute.
7. Serve sprinkled with the extra mint leaves and extra parmesan.