Chicken nuggets with parsley mash and homemade barbecue sauce
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 600 g (1 lb 5 oz) chicken thighs fillets, trimmed
- 35 g (1¼ oz/¼ cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 eggs
- 160 g (5¾ oz/2 cups) fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil
- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) tomato passata (puréed tomatoes)
- 2½ tablespoons soft brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon American or other mild mustard
- Tabasco sauce, to taste (optional)
- 800 g (1 lb 12 oz) desiree potatoes
- 75 g (2½ oz) butter, chopped
- 80 ml (2½ fl oz/⅓ cup) milk
- 1 small handful of chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
Rocket, tomato and olive salad, for adults
- 1 handful of rocket (arugula)
- 1 roma (plum) tomato, cut into wedges
- ½ avocado, cut into 2 cm (¾ inch) chunks
- 40 g (1½ oz/¼ cup) kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Line aroasting tin with foil and lightly oil the foil.
3. Put all the barbecue sauce ingredients in a saucepan and stir together well. Bring to a simmer, then cook over medium–low heat for 10 minutes, or until reduced and thickened slightly, stirring often. Remove from theheat, season totaste with sea salt and leave to cool. Cover and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the chicken nuggets. Cut the chicken thighs into strips about 2 cm (¾ inch) wide. Put the flour in a shallow bowl and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Break the eggs into another bowl and whisk in 1½ tablespoons water. In a third bowl mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan and parsley.Toss the chicken strips in the flour, shaking off the excess. Toss them in the egg mixture, draining off the excess,then toss in the breadcrumb mix to coat well.
5. Place the nuggets in the roasting tin and drizzle with the olive oil. Bake on the middle shelf of theoven for 20–25 minutes, or until the nuggets are golden and cooked through, turning them over halfway during cooking.
6. Meanwhile, make the parsley mash. Peel and chop the potatoes, then cook in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain well, then return to the saucepan and mash until smooth using a potato masher. Add the butter and milk, season to taste and stir until the butter has melted through. Cover and keep warm,stirring in theparsley just before serving.