Chocolate and creamy berry roulade
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 60 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon imitation vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- icing sugar, sifted
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- 1 × 250 g punnet fresh raspberries, sliced in half
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Brush a shallow 30 × 25 × 2 cm Swiss roll tin with melted butter or oil. Line base and two sides with paper; grease paper.
2. Place chocolate in glass bowl. Stir over barely simmering water until melted; remove from heat.
3. Beat eggs with electric beaters in small mixer bowl until thick and pale. Add sugar gradually, beating constantly until mixture is pale yellow and glossy and all the sugar is dissolved. Stir in essence. Transfer mixture to large mixing bowl. Using a metal spoon, fold in the sifted flour and baking powder quickly and lightly.
4. Stir the water and bicarbonate of soda into cooled chocolate until smooth. Fold into flour mixture. Spread mixture evenly into prepared tin; smooth surface. Bake 15 minutes or until springy to the touch. Turn onto a dry tea-towel covered with greaseproof paper; stand 1 minute. Using the tea-towel as a guide, carefully roll cake up with paper; stand 5 minutes or until cool. Unroll cake, discard paper.
5. Spread cake with cream and cover with the fruit; re-roll. Trim ends of roll with serrated knife; dust with icing sugar to serve.