Chocolate and strawberry ice-cream cake
This is the ultimate cheat's dessert. It looks so impressive that nobody will guess you've simply layered a quick-to-prepare biscuit base with ready-made ice cream. It's an excellent option for kids' birthdays, particularly when the weather's warm, and can be customised to cater for individual tastes.
Have your say
- 200 g (7 oz) dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/1/2 cup) thickened (whipping) cream
- 200 g (7 oz) shortbread biscuits, coarsely chopped
- 1 litre (35 fl oz/4 cups) strawberry ice cream
- 500 ml (17 fl oz/2 cups) chocolate-chip ice cream
- 80 g (2 3/4 oz/1/4 cup) strawberry jam
- 375 g (13 oz) small strawberries
- 30 g (1 oz) dark chocolate, extra, shaved
1. Grease a round 24 cm (9 1/2 inch) spring-form cake tin and line the base with non-stick baking paper. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Place the cream in a saucepan, bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Stand for 30 seconds, then stir gently until the chocolate melts. Set aside for 15 minutes or until cooled to room temperature.
2. Place the biscuits in a large bowl. Add the chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Press the mixture evenly over the base of the lined tin. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Remove the strawberry ice cream from the freezer. Set aside for about 10 minutes or until starting to soften. Spread over the chocolate mixture, then use a large spoon to press it down evenly and smooth the surface. Freeze for 1 hour or until the ice cream is firm.
4. Remove the chocolate-chip ice cream from the freezer. Set aside for about 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Spread the jam evenly over the strawberry ice cream. Spread the chocolate-chip ice cream over the jam, then use a large spoon to press it down evenly and smooth the surface. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 4 hours or overnight, until completely frozen.
5. To serve, remove the cake from the tin and use two egg flips to transfer it to a serving platter or cake stand. Serve sprinkled with dark chocolate shavings and topped with strawberries.