Chocolate and Walnut Buttercake
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
Chocolate and Walnut Buttercake (left)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a deep 19 cm square tin with melted butter or oil, line base and sides with paper; grease paper.
- Beat butter and sugar with electric beaters in small mixer bowl until light and creamy. Add eggs gradually, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add essence, beat until combined.
- Transfer mixture to large mixing bowl; add walnuts. Using a metal spoon, fold in sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk. Stir until just combined and mixture is almost smooth.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin; smooth surface. Bake 30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted in centre of cake.
- Stand cake in tin 10 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool.
- To make Icing: Beat butter with electric beaters in small mixer bowl until light and creamy. Add sifted icing sugar and cocoa; beat until combined. Spread icing evenly over cake using a palette knife. Decorate with walnut halves.