Chocolate brownie and raspberry ice cream sandwich
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 1 kg (2 lb 4 oz/8 cups) fresh or thawed frozen raspberries
- 345 g (12 oz/1½ cups) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 1½ quantities of vanilla ice cream or 1.5 litres (52 oz/6 cups) store-bought, slightly softened icing (confectioners') sugar, for dusting
- 85 g (3 oz/⅔ cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 60 g (2¼ oz/½ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 375 g (13 oz/1⅔ cups) caster (superfine) sugar
- 85 g (3 oz/⅔ cup) chopped pecans or walnuts
- 250 g (9 oz/1⅔ cups) finely chopped dark chocolate
- 250 g (9 oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Line a large square cake tins with baking paper, leaving a generous overhang on two opposite sides. Put the raspberries, sugar and lemon juice in a blender and blend to a smooth purée. Reserving 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) of the purée, fold the remainder through the ice cream and pour into the prepared tin. Freeze for 2 hours, or until firm.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Lightly grease a 30 × 20 cm (12 × 8 inch) cake tin and line with baking paper, leaving the paper hanging over the two long sides.
3. To make the chocolate brownies, sift the flour and cocoa into a bowl and add the sugar, nuts and chocolate. Mix together and make a well in the centre. Pour the butter into the well, add the vanilla extract and eggs and mix well. Pour into the tin, smooth the surface and bake for 45 minutes (the mixture will still be a bit soft in the middle).
4. Allow the brownies to cool a little, then chill for at least 2 hours. Lift out, using the paper as handles. Trim and cut into twelve 9 × 5 cm (3½ × 2 inch) rectangles then, using a serrated knife, cut through the centre of each brownie to form two thinner brownie pieces.
5. Remove the ice cream from the freezer, using the overhanging paper to lift it from the tin. Cut into 12 rectangles, the same size as the brownies.
6. To assemble, put twelve brownie slices on a tray, top each with a rectangle of ice cream and then another slice of brownie, cut side down. Smooth the sides of the ice cream to neaten, if necessary. Freeze for 10 minutes to firm. Dust with icing sugar and serve with the reserved raspberry sauce.