Chocolate cupcakes with ice cream
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 185 g (6 oz) unsalted butter
- 330 g (11¾ oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2½ teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 5 g (2½ oz/⅔ cup) self-raising flour, sifted
- 220 g (7¾ oz/1¾ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 1½ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), sifted
- 90 g (3 oz/¾ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) buttermilk
- small scoops vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Lightly grease 10 standard muffin holes with melted butter or oil.
2. Beat the butter and sugar with electric beaters until light and creamy. Beat in the vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Fold in the combined flours, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder with a metal spoon, alternately with the buttermilk. Stir until just smooth.
4. Divide the mixture evenly among the holes. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of a cake. Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Cut out the centre of each cake, leaving a 1 cm (½ inch) border around the top. Keep the tops of the cakes to one side. Fill the centre of each cake with a small scoop of ice cream, then decorate with the cake top.