Chocolate meringue kisses
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- ½ cup (125 g/4 oz) caster sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 125 g (4 oz) dark chocolate melts or buttons
- ⅓ cup (90 g/3 oz) sour cream
1. Preheat the oven to slow 150°C (300°F/Gas 2). Line two oven trays with baking paper.
2. Using electric beaters, beat the egg whites in a small clean dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating well after each addition until stiffened and glossy peaks form. Add the cinnamon and beat until just combined.
3. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with a 1 cm (½ inch) fluted nozzle. Pipe small stars of 1.5 cm (⅝ inch) diameter onto the trays, 3 cm (1¼ inches) apart. Bake for 30 minutes, or until pale and crisp. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues to cool in the oven with the door ajar.
4. To make the filling, place the chocolate and sour cream in a small heatproof bowl. Bring a pan of water to the boil, remove from the heat and sit the bowl over the pan, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not sit in the water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate has melted. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Sandwich the meringues together with the chocolate filling.