Chocolate mud cake
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 1½ cups (185 g/6 oz) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (60 g/2 oz) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (40 g/1¼ oz) cocoa powder
- 250 g (8 oz) butter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 200 g (6½ oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1½ cups (375 g/12 oz) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. preheat the oven to warm 160°C (315°F/ Gas 2–3). Grease a deep 20 cm (8 inch) round cake tin and line with baking paper. sift the flours and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
2. Combine the butter, oil, chocolate, sugar and coffee powder with 1 cup (250 ml/8 fl oz) water in pan. stir over low heat until the chocolate and butter are melted and the sugar has dissolved. pour into the well in the dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined. add the eggs and mix well, but do not overbeat.
3. pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 2 hours, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake. leave in the tin to cool completely, then turn out onto a wire rack.
4. To make the topping, combine the butter and chocolate in a pan. stir over low heat until melted. remove from the heat to cool slightly.