Christmas ham and cider casserole
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 40 g (1¼ oz) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, white part only, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 slices ham, chopped
- 100 ml (3½ fl oz) apple cider
- 300 g (10 oz) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup (25 g/¾ oz) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to moderately hot 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Melt half the butter in a heavy-based frying pan, add the onion and cook over low heat for 2–3 minutes, or until tender. Add the leek and stir until cooked through. Stir in the garlic.
2. Transfer the onion mixture to an ovenproof dish. Scatter the ham over the top and season with freshly ground black pepper. Pour in the apple cider. Spoon the butter beans over and around the ham and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Dot with the remaining butter and bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden on top.