Clay-pot chicken rice
Photo: William Meppem
A hearty pot of chicken rice is the perfect addition to any Asian banquet.
- Clay-pot chicken rice
- 2 cups long-grain rice, washed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 chicken thigh fillets, cut into small cubes
- 1 Chinese sausage, sliced
- 6 dried black mushrooms, soaked, simmered until cooked and quartered
- 4cm knob ginger, thinly julienned
- 1 green (spring) onion, green and white part, thinly julienned
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shoaxing wine
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp cornflour
Soak a clay pot in water for 24 hours before using.
Put the rice in the clay pot with the chicken stock, cover and cook over low heat with a heat diffuser for about 20 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, mix all the marinade ingredients together and pour over the chicken, mixing well.
When the rice has cooked for 20 minutes, spread the marinated chicken, Chinese sausage, mushrooms and sliced ginger on top.
Cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
Then mix everything through the rice, sprinkle with green onions and serve.
Got a favourite recipe? Share your recipe