A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 3 teaspoons gelatine
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 3 egg whites
- 20 small round or square coloured ice-cream cones
- assorted sweets for decoration
- ¼ cup hundreds and thousands
1. Combine sugar and water in a medium, heavy-based pan. Stir over low heat without boiling until sugar has completely dissolved. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low. Simmer for 4 minutes. Combine gelatine and boiling water in a small bowl. Stir until gelatine is dissolved. Add to sugar syrup in pan. Simmer for another minute.
2. Beat egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in hot syrup in a thin stream. Continue beating 10–15 minutes or until thick and glossy and cooled; the mixture should have a pipeable consistency and hold its shape.
3. Place ice-cream cones on an oven tray. Fill bases with assorted sweets. Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1 cm round, fluted nozzle. Pipe large swirls of marshmallow into each cone. Spread hundreds and thousands on piece of greaseproof paper and, lightly dip each marshmallow peak to coat half of peak. Place a piece of liquorice or a freckle on the other side. Allow to set overnight. Cones may be stored in an airtight container for up to two days.