Corn and chive muffins
A portable snack for those who prefer something savoury to sweet. They are also a great accompaniment to a bowl of soup.
Have your say
- 1½ cups (185 g/6 oz) self-raising flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (45 g/1½ oz) wheatgerm
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced fresh chives
- 2 eggs
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml/2 fl oz) olive oil
- 200 g (6½ oz) drained tanned corn kernels
1. Preheat the oven to hot 220°C (425°F/Gas 7) and oil a 12-hole, ½-cup capacity muffin tin. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the wheatgerm and chives and stir well. Make a well in the centre.
2. Beat the eggs and milk lightly and add to the well in the flour with the oil and corn. Stir quickly until just combined. The batter may look lumpy.
3. Spoon into the tin and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool in the tin for 2 minutes, then turn out and serve warm.