Creamy coconut ice
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 250 g (9 oz/2 cups) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 395 g (14 oz) tin condensed milk
- 315 g (11 oz/3 1/2 cups) desiccated (grated) coconut
- 2-3 drops pink food colouring or cochineal
1. Grease a 20 cm (8 inch) square cake tin and line the base and two opposite sides with baking paper, extending the paper over the sides for easy removal later.
2. Sift the icing sugar and cream of tartar into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the condensed milk. Using a wooden spoon, stir in half the coconut, then the remaining coconut. Mix well, using your hands. Divide the mixture in half and tint one half pink. Using your hands, knead the colour through evenly.
3. Press the pink mixture evenly over the base of the tin, then cover with the white mixture and press down firmly. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours, or until firm. Remove from the tin, remove the paper and cut into pieces. Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 weeks.