Creamy potato gratin
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 30 g butter
- 1 onion, sliced into thin rings
- 750 g waxy or all-purpose potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup (125 g) grated Cheddar
- 1½ cups (375 ml) cream
1. Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Heat the butter in a frying pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes, or until it is soft and translucent.
2. Arrange a single layer of slightly overlapping potato slices in a lightly greased 1-litre-capacity baking dish. Top the potato with a layer of the onion rings.
3. Divide the cheese in half and set aside one half to use for a topping. Sprinkle a little of the remaining cheese over the onion. Continue layering in this order until all the potato, onion and cheese have been used up. Sprinkle the reserved grated cheese over the top.
4. Pour the cream into a small jug, season with some salt and freshly ground black pepper and whisk gently until thoroughly combined. Pour the mixture over the layered potato and onion and bake for 40 minutes, or until the potato is tender, the cheese has melted and the top is golden brown.