A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- green and red food colouring
- liquorice and assorted sweets for decorating
1. Preheat oven to very slow 120°C. Brush two baking trays with melted butter or oil and line with baking paper. Place egg whites in a large, dry bowl. Using electric beaters, beat until soft peaks form.
2. Add sugar gradually, beating constantly until mixture is thick and glossy, and sugar has dissolved. Divide the meringue mixture in half. Add a few drops of green food colouring to one bowl and a few drops of red to the other and beat until combined.
3. Spoon each meringue mixture into a separate piping bag, each fitted with a 1 cm plain, round nozzle. Pipe caterpillar shapes about 8–10 cm long with the green meringue, onto prepared trays; pipe snail shapes with the pink meringue. Decorate snails and caterpillars with assorted sweets to form features. Bake for 55–60 minutes or until meringues are crisp. Turn off the oven but leave the meringues inside until they have completely cooled. Remove Creepy Crawlies from the oven and store carefully in an airtight container.