Crispy fried crab
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 1 kg (2 lb) fresh mud crab
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- oil, for deep-frying
1. Freeze the crab for about 1 hour until immobilized. Scrub the crab clean. Pull back the apron and remove the top shell (it should come off easily and in one piece). Remove the intestines and the grey feathery gills. Twist off the legs and claws. Using a sharp, heavy knife, chop the body into 4 pieces.
2. Crack the claws with a good hit with the back of a knife. Beat the egg with the chilli, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Put the crab pieces in the mixture, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Sift the seasoning ingredients together onto a large plate. Dip all the crab segments in the seasoning and dust off any excess.
4. Fill a heavy-based pan one third full of oil and heat to 180°C (350°F), or until a cube of bread dropped into the oil browns in 15 seconds. Carefully cook the claws in batches for 7-8 minutes, the body portions for 3-4 minutes, and the legs for 2 minutes. Drain on crumpled paper towels before serving.