Crispy fried mushroom crepes
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- ¾ cup (90 g/3 oz) plain flour
- pinch salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup (185 ml/6 fl oz) milk
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 cups (160 g/5¼ oz) fresh breadcrumbs
- oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 400 g (12⅔ oz) mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Sift the flour and salt into a medium bowl; make a well in the centre. Add the combined eggs and milk gradually. Beat until all the liquid is incorporated and the batter is free of lumps. Add the oil and chives. Set aside, covered with plastic wrap, for 20 minutes. Place ⅓ cup batter in a jug and set aside. Pour 2–3 tablespoons of remaining batter into a lightly greased small crepe pan; swirl evenly over the base. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute, or until the underside is golden. Turn crepe over and cook the other side. Transfer to a plate, cover with a tea towel and keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining batter, greasing the pan when necessary.
2. To make Mushroom Filling: Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion over medium heat until soft. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2–3 minutes. Stir in the cream, salt, pepper and cheese; cool.
3. Place crepes, one at a time, on a plate. Place 1 tablespoonful of mushroom mixture on one half of each crepe, spreading evenly and leaving a 1 cm (½ inch) border. Brush the edges of the crepe lightly with some reserved batter. Fold the uncovered half of the crepe over top of mushroom mixture. Repeat the process until all the crepes are filled. Spread a little reserved batter over each crepe with a pastry brush and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Brush the top with more batter, mixing it with the breadcrumbs.
4. Cover the base of a large frying pan with the oil and heat. Add filled crepes and cook until golden on one side, then turn and cook the other side. Transfer to paper towels to drain.