Custard butter cake
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup custard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Brush a deep 20 cm square cake tin with melted butter or oil. Line base and sides with paper; grease paper.
2. Sift the flour, custard powder and soda into large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre.
3. Melt the butter and sugar in a small pan over low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved; remove from heat. Combine eggs and buttermilk in a small mixing bowl. Add butter and egg mixtures to the dry ingredients. Using a wooden spoon, stir until combined; do not overbeat.
4. Spoon mixture into prepared tin; smooth surface. Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in centre of cake. Turn onto wire rack to cool.